The effect of aggregation on nonlinearity
AbstractThis paper investigates the interaction between aggregation and nonlinearity through a monte carlo study. Various tests for neglected nonlinearity are used to compare the power of the tests for different nonlinear models to different levels of aggregation. Three types of aggregation, namely, cross-sectional aggregation, temporal aggregation and systematic sampling are considered. Aggregation is inclined to simplify nonlinearity. The degree to which nonlinearity is reduced depends on the importance of common factor and extent of the aggregation. The effect is larger when the size of common factor is smaller and when the extent of the aggregation is larger.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Econometric Reviews.
Volume (Year): 18 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/LECR20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Chudik, Alexander, 2014.
"Aggregation in large dynamic panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 178(P2), pages 273-285.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Chudik, Alexander, 2011. "Aggregation in Large Dynamic Panels," IZA Discussion Papers 5478, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Alexander Chudik, 2011. "Aggregation in large dynamic panels," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 101, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Chudik, A., 2011. "Aggregation in Large Dynamic Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1118, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Hashem M. Pesaran & Alexander Chudik, 2011. "Aggregation in Large Dynamic Panels," CESifo Working Paper Series 3346, CESifo Group Munich.
- Chowdhury, Ibrahim & Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2002.
"Non-Linear Dynamics in Deviations from the Law of One Price: A Broad-Based Empirical Study,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3377, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P. & Chowdhury, Ibrahim, 2004. "Nonlinear dynamics in deviations from the law of one price: a broad-based empirical study," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Fok, D. & van Dijk, D.J.C. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 2004.
"Forecasting aggregates using panels of nonlinear time series,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2004-44, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Fok, Dennis & van Dijk, Dick & Franses, Philip Hans, 2005. "Forecasting aggregates using panels of nonlinear time series," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 785-794.
- Maria Simona Andreano & Giovanni Savio, 2002. "Further evidence on business cycle asymmetries in G7 countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(7), pages 895-904.
- Denny Meyer & Rob J. Hyndman, 2005. "Rating Forecasts for Television Programs," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 1/05, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.