Bootstrap methods for heteroskedastic regression models: evidence on estimation and testing
AbstractThis paper uses Monte Carlo simulation analysis to study the finite-sample behavior of bootstrap estimators and tests in the linear heteroskedastic model. We consider four different bootstrapping schemes, three of them specifically tailored to handle heteroskedasticity. Our results show that weighted bootstrap methods can be successfully used to estimate the variances of the least squares estimators of the linear parameters both under normality and under nonnormality. Simulation results are also given comparing the size and power of the bootstrapped Breusch-Pagan test with that of the original test and of Bartlett and Edgeworth-corrected tests. The bootstrap test was found to be robust against unfavorable regression designs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Econometric Reviews.
Volume (Year): 18 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/LECR20
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- CLA - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Amélie Charles & Olivier Darne, 2009.
"Variance ratio tests of random walk: An overview,"
- Dufour, Jean-Marie & Khalaf, Lynda & Bernard, Jean-Thomas & Genest, Ian, 2004.
"Simulation-based finite-sample tests for heteroskedasticity and ARCH effects,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 317-347, October.
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie & KHALAF, Lynda & BERNARD, Jean-Thomas, 2001. "Simulation-Based Finite-Sample Tests for Heteroskedasticity and ARCH Effects," Cahiers de recherche 2001-08, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jean-Thomas Bernard & Jean-Marie Dufour & Ian Genest & Lynda Khalaf, 2001. "Simulation-Based Finite-Sample Tests for Heteroskedasticity and ARCH Effects," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-25, CIRANO.
- Dufour, J.M. & Khalaf, L. & Bernard, J.T. & Genest, I., 2001. "Simulation-Based Finite-Sample Tests for Heteroskedasticity and ARCH Effects," Cahiers de recherche 2001-08, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Cribari-Neto, Francisco, 2004. "Asymptotic inference under heteroskedasticity of unknown form," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 215-233, March.
- Marshall, Andrew & Tang, Leilei, 2011. "Assessing the impact of heteroskedasticity for evaluating hedge fund performance," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 12-19, January.
- repec:slu:wpaper:2007-01 is not listed on IDEAS
- Godfrey, L.G., 2006. "Tests for regression models with heteroskedasticity of unknown form," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(10), pages 2715-2733, June.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00175897 is not listed on IDEAS
- Malliaropulos, Dimitrios & Priestley, Richard, 1999. "Mean reversion in Southeast Asian stock markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 355-384, October.
- Eduardo Lima & Benjamin Tabak, 2009. "Tests of Random Walk: A Comparison of Bootstrap Approaches," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 34(4), pages 365-382, November.
- Francisco Cribari-Neto & Maria Lima, 2010. "Sequences of bias-adjusted covariance matrix estimators under heteroskedasticity of unknown form," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 62(6), pages 1053-1082, December.
- Cajueiro, Daniel O. & Tabak, Benjamin M., 2006. "Testing for predictability in equity returns for European transition markets," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 56-78, March.
- Baumöhl, Eduard & Lyócsa, Štefan, 2014. "Volatility and dynamic conditional correlations of worldwide emerging and frontier markets," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 175-183.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00175897 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dennis Coates & Jac Heckelman & Bonnie Wilson, 2011.
"Special-interest groups and growth,"
Springer, vol. 147(3), pages 439-457, June.
- Dale Poirier, 2008. "Bayesian Interpretations of Heteroskedastic Consistent Covariance Estimators Using the Informed Bayesian Bootstrap," Working Papers 080905, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.