Assessing the Cost Efficiency of Italian Universities
AbstractThis study uses Data Envelopment Analysis to evaluate the cost efficiency of 52 Italian public universities. In addition to being one of the first such cost studies of the Italian system, it explicitly takes into account the internal cost structure of institutions' education programs; a task not prevalent in past Data Envelopment Analysis studies on higher education institutions. The findings highlight biases in efficiency measurement arising from not separating the sample into those institutions with medical faculties and those without. Efficiency scores are also shown to vary considerably when education quality measures are input-based or output-based. From a policy perspective, our findings suggest that limiting the enrollment growth of some institutions while expanding enrollments in others could reduce system-wide costs and improve overall efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Education Economics.
Volume (Year): 15 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CEDE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1046 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:1031 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mallikarjun, Sreekanth & Lewis, Herbert F. & Sexton, Thomas R., 2014. "Operational performance of U.S. public rail transit and implications for public policy," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 74-88.
- Carmen Aina & Eliana Baici & Giorgia Casalone, 2010. "Time-to-Degree: Students' Abilities, University Characteristics or What Else? Evidence from Italy," Working Papers 130, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Barra, Cristian & Zotti, Roberto, 2014. "Handling negative data using Data Envelopment Analysis: a directional distance approach applied to higher education," MPRA Paper 55570, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1109 is not listed on IDEAS
- E Thanassoulis & M Kortelainen & G Johnes & J Johnes, 2009. "Costs and Efficiency of Higher Education Institutions in England: A DEA Analysis," Working Papers 598827, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.