Integrating decomposition approaches for the analysis of temporal changes in economic structure: an application to Chicago's economy from 1980 to 2000
AbstractThis paper presents an attempt to integrate two flow decomposition methods to analyse temporal changes in a region's economic structure. The two methods of structural analysis are push-pull decomposition analysis and structural Q-analysis. Push-pull analysis presents a quasi-optimization decomposition of a set of matrices with actual intersectoral economic flows into a weighted set of matrices, while structural Q-analysis provides a form in which the structure of these decomposed flows can be considered. The paper provides an expository application to Chicago's economic structure over the period of 1980 to 2000, to reveal a complementary perspective of hollowing-out the production process in the Chicago economy that was identified in previous studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Economic Systems Research.
Volume (Year): 17 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=104572
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jose Miguel Albala-Bertrand, 1999. "Structural Change in Chile: 1960-90," Economic Systems Research, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 301-320.
- Erik Dietzenbacher & Alex R. Hoen & Bart Los, 2000. "Labor Productivity in Western Europe 1975-1985: An Intercountry, Interindustry Analysis," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 425-452.
- Sonis, Michael & Hewings, Geoffrey J.D., 1998. "Temporal Leontief Inverse," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 89-114, March.
- Wier, Mette & Hasler, Berit, 1999. "Accounting for nitrogen in Denmark--a structural decomposition analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 317-331, August.
- Henrik Jacobsen, 2000. "Energy Demand, Structural Change and Trade: A Decomposition Analysis of the Danish Manufacturing Industry," Economic Systems Research, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 319-343.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.