Constructing SAMs for Development Policy Analysis: Lessons Learned and Challenges Ahead
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to appraise a few of the key innovative features of the early work in compiling SAMs for development policy analysis; to set out and review some recent methodological advances; and to identify those areas where compilation continues to be problematic. It briefly re-visits the features of the SAM as an integrating framework and sets out its relationship to the SNA 1993. The main compilation problems faced in practice arise from assembling the household accounts from household survey data where income data are especially unreliable and are difficult to link to the factor accounts and to income transfers. Experience is drawn from the construction of a Ghana SAM. In the literature relatively more attention has been devoted to balancing and data reconciliation methods, which are briefly reviewed, although these are second order adjustments and much still depends on the quality of the initial estimates
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Economic Systems Research.
Volume (Year): 15 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CESR20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Saumya Mitra & Douglas Andrew & Gohar Gyulumyan & Paul Holden & Bart Kaminski & Yevgeny Kuznetsov & Ekaterine Vashakmadze, 2007. "The Caucasian Tiger : Sustaining Economic Growth in Armenia," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6644, March.
- Ezequiel Uriel Jiménez & Javier Ferri & María Luisa Moltó Carbonell, 2005.
"Estimation Of An Extended Sam With Household Production For Spain 1995,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
2005-08, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Ezequiel Uriel & Javier Ferri & Maria Luisa Molto, 2005. "Estimation of an Extended SAM with household production for Spain 1995," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 255-278.
- Buzaglo, Jorge & Calzadilla, Alvaro, 2010.
"La pobreza y las clases: Dinámicas y estrategias en Bolivia
[Poverty and class: Dynamics and strategies in Bolivia]," MPRA Paper 28750, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pansini, Rosaria Vega, 2008. "Multiplier Decomposition, Poverty and Inequality in Income Distribution in a SAM Framework: the Vietnamese Case," MPRA Paper 13182, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Monica Flores-Garcia & Alfredo Mainar, 2009. "Environmental Effects of Production and Consumption Activities Within an Economy: the Aragon Case," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 437-455, November.
- Susana Santos, 2004. "Distribution of aggregate income in Portugal from 1995 to 2000 within a SAM (Social Accounting Matrix) framework. Modeling the household sector," Working Papers Department of Economics 2004/12, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Arief Anshory Yusuf, 2006.
"Constructing Indonesian Social Accounting Matrix for Distributional Analysis in the CGE Modelling Framework,"
Working Papers in Economics and Development Studies (WoPEDS)
200604, Department of Economics, Padjadjaran University, revised Nov 2006.
- Yusuf, Arief Anshory, 2006. "Constructing Indonesian Social Accounting Matrix for Distributional Analysis in the CGE Modelling Framework," MPRA Paper 1730, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Santos, Susana, 2013. "Socio-economic studies with social accounting and socio-demographic Matrices. An (attempted) application to Mozambique," MPRA Paper 47999, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Susana Santos, 2005. "Effects of changes in flows of funds between Government and households.A SAM approach to Portugal," GE, Growth, Math methods 0507002, EconWPA.
- Buzaglo, Jorge & Calzadilla, Alvaro, 2008. "Simulating extended reproduction: Poverty reduction and class dynamics in Bolivia," MPRA Paper 28749, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmed, Vaqar & O' Donoghue, Cathal, 2007. "CGE-Microsimulation Modelling: A Survey," MPRA Paper 9307, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- McDonald, Scott & Punt, Cecilia, 2005. "General equilibrium modelling in South Africa: What the future holds," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 44(1), March.
- Susana Santos, 2013. "Socio-Economic Studies with Social Accounting and Sociodemographic Matrices. An application to Portugal," Working Papers Department of Economics 2013/16, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Susana Santos, 2006. "Better policy analysis with better data. Constructing a Social Accounting Matrix from the European System of National Accounts," Working Papers Department of Economics 2006/22, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Benedetto Rocchi & Donato Romano & Raid Hamza, 2012. "Agriculture Reform and Food Crisis in Syria: Impacts on Poverty and Inequality," Working Papers - Economics wp2012_19.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Roman Mogilevsky & Anara Omorova, 2011. "Assessing Development Strategies to Achieve the MDGs in Asia. Macroeconomic Strategies of MDG Achievement in the Kyrgyz Republic," CASE Network Reports 0095, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Susana Santos, 2005. "Social Accounting Matrix and the System of National Accounts: An Application," Working Papers Department of Economics 2005/14, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Santos, Susana, 2011. "Measuring (socio-)economic systems using the SNA. A SAM approach," MPRA Paper 32758, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.