The Economic Effects of the Soccer World Cup 2006 in Germany with Regard to Different Financing
AbstractThis paper presents some results using the sport-economic simulation model SPORT. This model is based on a sport-specific input-output table for the year 1993, which has been integrated into the German INFORGE model. The performance of this model founded on the INFORUM philosophy. The results illustrate the importance of modelling sport-economic activities in deep detail, especially the integration of the system of national accounts. In addition, the results also show that it is possible to calculate the macroeconomic effects of the soccer World Cup, which may perhaps be hosted by Germany in 2006, with regard to the different financing of necessary extensions of public sports infrasfructure. Under favourable conditions-independent of the type of financing of these necessary investments-the staging of the soccer World Cup positively influences income and employment. Such calculations allow the decision-maker to estimate the opportunity costs of their decisions and can be the basis for an extended cost-benefit analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Economic Systems Research.
Volume (Year): 13 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CESR20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tim Dowd & Ralph Monaco & Jeffry Janoska, 1998. "Effects of Future Demographic Changes on the US Economy: Evidence from a Long-term Simulation Model," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 239-262.
- Gerd Ahlert, 2006. "Auswirkungen des zusätzlichen Incoming-Tourismus während der FIFA WM 2006 auf die gesamtwirtschaftliche Entwicklung," GWS Discussion Paper Series 06-1, GWS - Institute of Economic Structures Research.
- Gerd Ahlert, 2004. "The TSA project in Germany: Results & Reactions," GWS Discussion Paper Series 04-4, GWS - Institute of Economic Structures Research.
- Stan du Plessis & Wolfgang Maennig, 2007. "World Cup 2010: South African Economic Perspectives and Perspectives Policy Challenges Informed by the Experience of Germany 2006," Working Papers 004, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Gerd Ahlert, 2005. "What does Germany expect to gain from hosting the 2006 Football World Cup – Macroeconomic and Regionaleconomic Effects," GWS Discussion Paper Series 05-4, GWS - Institute of Economic Structures Research.
- Gerd Ahlert, 2004. "TSA for Germany: database of the satellite account and perspectives for integration into a sectoral disaggregated macro-econometric model," GWS Discussion Paper Series 04-3, GWS - Institute of Economic Structures Research.
- Gerd Ahlert, 2013. "The German Sport Satellite Accounts (SSA)," GWS Discussion Paper Series 13-4, GWS - Institute of Economic Structures Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.