Production, Prices and Time: A Comparison of Some Alternative Concepts
AbstractThis paper compares alternative concepts of production and prices with a special emphasis on time. First, it is demonstrated that the point-input point-output representation of processes used in von Neumann-Sraffa models is not restrictive and can be derived from general flow-input flow-output processes. Second, the concept of long-period positions, which can be traced back to the work of the classical authors, is discussed. Third, the von Neumann-Sraffa approach is compared with the neo-Austrian model and the flow-fund model developed by Hicks and Georgescu-Roegen respectively. It turns out that these latter two models are, at best, a special case of the former. Finally, some problems and intricacies concerning observable input-output coefficients are discussed and, as an alternative, a possibly applicable method to determine coefficients for general flow-input flow-output processes is presented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Economic Systems Research.
Volume (Year): 12 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=104572
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hicks, J. R., 1987. "Capital and Time: A Neo-Austrian Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198772866.
- Hagemann, Harald & Kurz, Heinz D, 1976. "The Return to the Same Truncation Period and Reswitching of Techniques in Neo-Austrian and More General Models," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(4), pages 678-708.
- Hicks, J R, 1970. "A Neo-Austrian Growth Theory," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 80(318), pages 257-81, June.
- Guilhoto, Joaquim José Martins, 2011.
"Análise de Insumo-Produto: Teoria e Fundamentos
[Input-Output Analysis: Theory and Foundations]," MPRA Paper 32566, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lee, Frederic, 2011. "Heterodox surplus approach: production, prices, and value theory," MPRA Paper 31824, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.