Research Joint Ventures And Product Innovation: Some Welfare Aspects
AbstractThis paper considers a model of horizontal and vertical product differentiation. Firms spending on R&D may improve the quality of their product. K&D cooperation in the fort11 of a RJV among a subset of innovating firms introduces the possibility of a much better product being produced relative to the case of non-cooperation in K&D. Given Bertrand competition in the product market the RJV sets a common price for the improved good. It is shown that. even under this extreme form of cooperation, there are clear instances where social welfare is enhanced relative to the non-cooperative outcome.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Economics of Innovation and New Technology.
Volume (Year): 5 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GEIN20
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Suetens S., 2004.
"Literature review: R&D cooperation in oligopoly with spill-overs: an experimental economic approach,"
2004024, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Suetens, S., 2004. "Literature review: R&D cooperation in oligopoly with spillovers: An experimental economics approach," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3529827, Tilburg University.
- Vivekananda Mukherjee & Shyama Ramani, 2011. "R&D cooperation in emerging industries, asymmetric innovative capabilities and rationale for technology parks," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 71(3), pages 373-394, September.
- Versaevel, Bruno & de Villemeur, Étienne, 2003. "Conflict and Cooperation on R&D Markets," IDEI Working Papers 191, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Aikaterini KOKKINOU, 2010. "Economic growth, innovation and collaborative research and development activities," Management & Marketing, Economic Publishing House, vol. 5(1), Spring.
- Mukherjee, Vivekananda & Ramani, Shyama V., 2008. "R&D cooperation, asymmetric technological capabilities and rationale for technology parks," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 11/08, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.