Sources of learning paths and technological capabilities: an introductory roadmap of development processes
AbstractThis paper aims at building bridges between evolutionary microeconomics and the structuralist theory of economic development, trying to combine both approaches in a systematic way. It is suggested that reducing the technology gap requires persistent supply side efforts for adapting and improving the use of capital equipment and the sequential development of various forms of tacit and incremental learning, associated with the transfer and acquisition of foreign technology. In addition, the expansion of employment along with labour productivity is related to the diversification of the economy, the expansion of high-tech activities and exports and the consequent dynamism of domestic and international demand. The paper argues that technological and industrial policies should take into consideration both dimensions of the development process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Economics of Innovation and New Technology.
Volume (Year): 18 (2009)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GEIN20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon Teitel, 2004. "On Semi-Industrialized Countries and the Acquisition of Technological Capabilities," ICER Working Papers 19-2004, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979.
"The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences,"
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," PSL Quarterly Review, Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 429-438.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Metcalfe, John S. & Foster, John & Ramlogan, Ronnie, 2003.
"Adaptive Economic Growth,"
Centre on Regulation and Competition (CRC) Working papers
30637, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Cimoli, M. & Soete, L., 1992. "A generalized technology gap trade model," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-6485, Maastricht University.
- Teitel, Simon, 1984. "Technology creation in semi-industrial economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 39-61.
- Cimoli, Mario & Dosi, Giovanni, 1995. "Technological Paradigms, Patterns of Learning and Development: An Introductory Roadmap," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 243-68, September.
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2003. "Localized Technological Change," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200305, University of Turin.
- Teitel, Simon, 1987. "Science and technology indicators, country size and economic development: An international comparison," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(9), pages 1225-1235, September.
- Mario Cimoli & Giovanni Dosi & Richard R. Nelson & Joseph Stiglitz, 2006. "Institutions and Policies Shaping Industrial Development: An Introductory Note," LEM Papers Series 2006/02, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Dosi, Giovanni & Soete, Luc, 1988. "Technical change and international trade," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-6339, Maastricht University.
- Rothaermel, Frank T. & Thursby, Marie, 2007. "The nanotech versus the biotech revolution: Sources of productivity in incumbent firm research," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 832-849, July.
- Metcalfe, J S, 2001. "Institutions and Progress," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(3), pages 561-86, September.
- Teubal, Morris, 1984. "The role of technological learning in the exports of manufactured goods: the case of selected capital goods in Brazil," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 12(8), pages 849-865, August.
- Miozzo, Marcela & Walsh, Vivien, 2006. "International Competitiveness and Technological Change," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199259243.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1969. "A New View of Technological Change," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 79(315), pages 573-78, September.
- Eva Yamila Catela & Mario Cimoli & Gabriel Porcile, 2012. "Productivity and structural heterogeneity in the Brazilian manufacturing sector: trends and determinants," LEM Papers Series 2012/20, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Porcile, Gabriel & de Souza, Alexandre Gomes & Viana, Ricardo, 2011. "External debt sustainability and policy rules in a small globalized economy," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 269-276, September.
- Mario Cimoli & Wellington Pereira & Gabriel Porcile & Fábio Scatolin, 2011.
"Structural change, technology, and economic growth: Brazil and the CIBS in a comparative perspective,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 25-47, April.
- Cimoli, Mario & Pereira, Wellington & Porcile, Gabriel & Scatolin, Fabio, 2008. "Structural Change, Technology, and Economic Growth: Brazil and the CIBS in a Comparative Perspective," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Cimoli, Mario & Fleitas, Sebastian & Porcile, Gabriel, 2011. "Real Exchange Rate and the Structure of Exports," MPRA Paper 37846, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.