Patterns of technological specialisation in Latin American and East Asian countries: an analysis of patents and trade flows
AbstractThis article provides an extensive analysis of the technological specialisation of three Latin American countries (Argentina, Brazil and Mexico) and two East Asian countries (South Korea and Taiwan). Technological specialisation is measured both with respect to patents and trade flows. This article provides different measures of technological specialisation: Ricardian and Smithian specialisation indexes and the contribution to trade balance. These indicators provide a new picture of the evolution of the patterns of technological specialisation. Latin American countries show a divergent technological specialisation from East Asian countries, since the 1970s. In particular, Latin American countries display weaknesses in computers and communications and electrical and electronic sectors and their specialisation in fast growing technological classes is declining, in contrast to East Asian countries. While East Asian countries have shifted to specialised supplier or science-based sectors, Latin American countries have increased their trade specialisation in supplier-dominated or scale-intensive sectors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Economics of Innovation and New Technology.
Volume (Year): 13 (2004)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GEIN20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hall, B. & Jaffe, A. & Trajtenberg, M., 2001.
"The NBER Patent Citations Data File: Lessons, Insights and Methodological Tools,"
Papers, Tel Aviv
2001-29, Tel Aviv.
- Hall, Bronwyn H & Jaffe, Adam B & Trajtenberg, Manuel, 2001. "The NBER Patent Citations Data File: Lessons, Insights and Methodological Tools," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 3094, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg, 2001. "The NBER Patent Citation Data File: Lessons, Insights and Methodological Tools," NBER Working Papers 8498, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. Capdevielle & M. Cimoli & G. Dutrenit, 1997. "Specialization and Technology in Mexico: A Virtual Pattern of Development and Competitiveness?," Working Papers, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis ir97016, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Alfons Palangkaraya & Paul Jensen & Elizabeth Webster, 2006. "Patent Examination Decisions and Strategic Trade Behavior," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies 2006-03, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Francesco Laforgia & Fabio Montobbio & Luigi Orsenigo, 2007. "IPRs, technological and industrial development and growth: the case of the pharmaceutical industry," KITeS Working Papers, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy 206, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Oct 2007.
- Urraca-Ruiz, Ana, 2013. "The ‘technological’ dimension of structural change under market integration," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 1-18.
- Ana Urraca Ruiz & C. Frederico Rocha, 2011. "On the relations between technological opportunity, specialization and growth," Working Papers, Universidade de SÃ£o Paulo, Faculdade de Economia, AdministraÃ§Ã£o e Contabilidade de RibeirÃ£o Preto 13-2011, Universidade de São Paulo, Faculdade de Economia, Administração e Contabilidade de Ribeirão Preto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.