Agricultural Protection In Indonesia
AbstractThroughout the second half of the 20th century, Indonesia's trade policies favoured the modern manufacturing sector relative to agriculture. Within agriculture, they favoured import-competing sectors at the expense of export-competing sectors. Rice is the most important import-competing agricultural sector and, until 2000, assistance to rice growers came mainly from input subsidies. The extent of subsidies to rice and other import-competing agriculture varied with foreign exchange availability and the government's budgetary circumstances: 'good' times produced more interventionist policies and 'bad' times produced less government intervention. Since the mid-1980s, the aggregate bias in favour of manufacturing has declined greatly and agriculture is now only lightly taxed relative to manufacturing. This change resulted from the reduction in manufacturing protection that has characterised this period and from the increased protection of rice and sugar occurring after 2000. We attempt to explain the political forces underlying these changes in trade policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 44 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CBIE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Warr, Peter G., 2009. "Agricultural Protection and Poverty in Indonesia: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 52788, World Bank.
- Peter Warr & Arief Anshory Yusuf, 2009.
"International food prices and poverty in Indonesia,"
Departmental Working Papers
2009-19, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Warr, Peter G. & Yusuf, Arief Anshory, 2010. "International food prices and poverty in Indonesia," 2010 Conference (54th), February 10-12, 2010, Adelaide, Australia 59259, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Peter Warr & Arief Anshory Yusuf, 2013.
"Fertilizer Subsidies and Food Self-sufficiency in Indonesia,"
Working Papers in Economics and Development Studies (WoPEDS)
201309, Department of Economics, Padjadjaran University, revised May 2013.
- Peter Warr & Arief Anshory Yusuf, 2013. "Fertilizer Subsidies and Food Self-Sufficiency in Indonesia," Departmental Working Papers 2013-08, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Peter Warr & Arief Anshory Yusuf, 2013. "World Food Prices and Poverty in Indonesia," Departmental Working Papers 2013-07, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.