Estimation and evaluation of core inflation measures
AbstractThis article estimates and evaluates different measures of core inflation for India by employing statistical and econometric approaches. We estimate Wholesale Price Index (WPI) ex-food, WPI ex-food and energy, 20% asymmetric trimmed mean, 63rd percentile and Structural Vector Autoregression (SVAR) measures of core inflation. The trimmed mean, 63rd percentile and SVAR measures are unbiased, less volatile and highly correlated to headline inflation. The predictive accuracy of the different core inflation measures used in this article is assessed. The overall result suggests that a 20% asymmetric trimmed mean and SVAR measures of core inflation can be useful for the policy purposes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 43 (2011)
Issue (Month): 25 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luis J. Álvarez & María de los Llanos Matea, 1999.
"Underlying Inflation Measures in Spain,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
9911, Banco de Espa�a.
- Franck Sédillot & Hervé Le Bihan, 2002. "Implementing and interpreting indicators of core inflation: the case of France," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 473-497.
- Wynne, Mark A., 1999.
"Core inflation: a review of some conceptual issues,"
Working Paper Series
0005, European Central Bank.
- Mark A. Wynne, 2008. "Core inflation: a review of some conceptual issues," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 205-228.
- Mark A. Wynne, 1999. "Core inflation: a review of some conceptual issues," Working Papers 9903, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Carlos Robalo Marques & João Machado Mota, 2000.
"Using the asymmetric trimmed mean as a core inflation indicator,"
Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles,
Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Carlos Robalo Marques & João Machado Mota, 2000. "Using the Asymmetric Trimmed Mean as a Core Inflation Indicator," Working Papers w200006, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti & Rodney L. Wiggins II, 1997.
"Efficient inflation estimation,"
9707, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Lundborg, Per & Sacklén, Hans, 2003. "Low-Inflation Targeting and Unemployment Persistence," Working Paper Series 188, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1994.
"Measuring Core Inflation,"
in: Monetary Policy, pages 195-219
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christine Gartner & Gert Wehinger, 1998. "Core Inflation in Selected European Union Countries," Working Papers 33, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Durai, S. Raja Sethu & Ramachandran, M., 2007. "Core inflation for India," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 365-383, April.
- Todd E. Clark, 2001. "Comparing measures of core inflation," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q II, pages 5-31.
- George A. Akerlof & William T. Dickens & George L. Perry, 2000. "Near-Rational Wage and Price Setting and the Long-Run Phillips Curve," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 31(1), pages 1-60.
- Quah, Danny, 1995.
"Measuring Core Inflation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1153, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jacquinot, P., 1998. "L'inflation sous-jacente à partir d'une approche structurelle des VAR : Une application à la France, l'Allemagne et au Royaume-Uni," Working papers 51, Banque de France.
- Francisco Marcos Rodrigues Figueiredo, 2001. "Evaluating Core Inflation Measures for Brazil," Working Papers Series 14, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Danny Quah & Danny Quah & Shaun P. Vahey, 1995.
"Measuring Core Inflation,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0254, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Juan-Luis Vega & Mark A. Wynne, 2003.
"A First Assessment of Some Measures of Core Inflation for the Euro Area,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 4, pages 269-306, 08.
- Juan-Luis Vega & Mark A. Wynne, 2002. "A first assessment of some measures of core inflation for the euro area," Working Papers 0205, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Bagliano, Fabio C. & Morana, Claudio, 2003. "Measuring US core inflation: A common trends approach," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 197-212, June.
- Robert Rich & Charles Steindel, 2005. "A review of core inflation and an evaluation of its measures," Staff Reports 236, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Wojciech Charemza & Imran Hussain Shah, 2012.
"Stability Price Index, Core Inflation and Output Volatility,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
12/21, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Wojciech Charemza & Imran Husssain Shah, 2013. "Stability price index, core inflation and output volatility," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(8), pages 737-741, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.