Regional differences in job satisfaction
AbstractJob satisfaction is significantly higher in Wales than in London and the South East, the rest of England and Scotland. This is despite the fact that among these four regions, earnings are lowest in Wales. Using data from the British Household Panel Survey (BHPS), we investigate the determinants of job satisfaction and attempt to explain why workers in Wales are happier in their work than workers in other parts of the UK. We find that workers in Wales appear to be less concerned about pay than workers in other regions. We suggest that because lower earnings tend to be associated with higher levels of unemployment and inactivity, being in work may be regarded more favourably in more economically depressed regions. We also suggest the climate of industrial relations, as perceived by workers, is better in Wales than elsewhere.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 41 (2009)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fiorillo, D; & Nappo, N;, 2011.
"Job satisfaction in Italy: Individual characteristics and social relations,"
Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers
11/09, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Damiano Fiorillo & Nunzia Nappo, 2011. "Job satisfaction in Italy: individual characteristics and social relations," Discussion Papers 5_2011, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Fiorillo, Damiano & Nappo, Nunzia, 2011. "Job satisfaction in Italy: individual characteristics and social relations," MPRA Paper 31133, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2011.
"Trial experience, satisfaction and incentive to bring another lawsuit: Does aspiration level influence winners and losers?,"
33187, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eiji Yamamura, 2013. "Trial experience, satisfaction and incentive to bring another lawsuit: Does aspiration level influence winners and losers?," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 2013/03, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2009. "Trial experience, satisfaction and incentive to bring another lawsuit: Does aspiration level influence winners and losers?," MPRA Paper 16149, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.