Short- and long-term evaluation of efficiency and quality. An application to Spanish municipalities
AbstractThis article analyses efficiency and quality levels in Spanish local governments and their determining factors through the application of the Data Envelopment Analysis methodology. It aims to discover to what extent inefficiency arises from both quality considerations and external factors beyond the organization's control, or alternatively, how much inefficiency is due to inadequate resource management. As a component of inadequate resource management, we test the existence of political-budgetary cycles in the temporal evolution of inefficiencies. The results show that on the whole there is still a wide margin within which local government efficiency and quality levels could be increased, although it is revealed that a great deal of inefficiency is due to exogenous or noncontrollable factors. In particular, it has been found that the size of the municipality, the per capita tax revenue, the per capita grants and the amount of commercial activity are some of the factors related with local government efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 41 (2009)
Issue (Month): 23 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peter Bönisch & Peter Haug & A. Illy & L. Schreier, 2011. "Municipality Size and Efficiency of Local Public Services: Does Size Matter?," IWH Discussion Papers 18, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- N�ria Bosch & Marta Espasa & Toni Mora, 2012.
"Citizen control and the efficiency of local public services,"
Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 30(2), pages 248-266, April.
- Núria Bosch Roca & Marta Espasa Queralt & Antoni Mora Corral, 2010. "Citizens' control and the efficiency of local public services," Working Papers 2010/23, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Nuria Bosch & Marta Espasa & Toni Mora, 2010. "Citizens control and the efficiency of local public services," Working Papers in Economics 247, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Ivo Bischoff & Peter Bönisch & Peter Haug & A. Illy, 2013. "Vertical Grants and Local Public Efficiency," IWH Discussion Papers 1, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Peter Haug, 2013. "Grant Dependence, Regulation and the Effects of Formula-based Grant Systems on German Local Governments: A Data Report for Saxony-Anhalt," IWH Discussion Papers 2, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.