Self-employment duration in urban and rural locations
AbstractPrevious research has shown that the local environment is important for self-employment. The dynamics of self-employment varies between areas characterized by different labour market conditions, entrepreneurial traditions and other structural factors. This article analyses self-employment spells in Finland with a large register-based data set from the period 1987 to 2002. The main aim is to investigate the role of region-specific factors as compared with individual-specific and other factors on the duration of self-employment spells. First, the descriptive analysis shows that the exit rates from self-employment and the length of self-employment spells depend upon location (urban versus rural area) and the cyclical trends in the economy. Second, self-employment duration is modelled using discrete time survival analysis. It is found that rural areas have significantly lower exit rates in the first years of self-employment than urban areas.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 41 (2009)
Issue (Month): 19 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Other versions of this item:
- Hannu Tervo & Mika Haapanen, 2005. "Self-employment duration in urban and rural locations," ERSA conference papers ersa05p315, European Regional Science Association.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aki Kangasharju, 2002. "The Role of Education in Self-Employment Success in Finland," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 33(2), pages 216-237.
- Jenkins, Stephen P, 1995. "Easy Estimation Methods for Discrete-Time Duration Models," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(1), pages 129-38, February.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & David Joulfaian & Harvey S. Rosen, 1993.
"Sticking it Out: Entrepreneurial Survival and Liquidity Constraints,"
NBER Working Papers
4494, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Joulfaian, David & Rosen, Harvey S, 1994. "Sticking It Out: Entrepreneurial Survival and Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(1), pages 53-75, February.
- David G. Blanchflower, 2000.
"Self-Employment in OECD Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
7486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Taylor, Mark P, 1999. "Survival of the Fittest? An Analysis of Self-Employment Duration in Britain," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(454), pages C140-55, March.
- Parker,Simon C., 2006.
"The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521030632, October.
- Parker,Simon C., 2004. "The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521828130, October.
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1990.
"Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment Spells,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 757-82, July.
- Carrasco, R., 1997.
"Transitions to and from Self-Employment in Spain: An Empirical Analysis,"
9710, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Carrasco, Raquel, 1999. " Transitions to and from Self-employment in Spain: An Empirical Analysis," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(3), pages 315-41, August.
- Tervo, Hannu & Ritsilä, Jari, 2000.
"Effects Of Unemployment On New Firm Formation:Micro-Level Panel Data Evidence From Finland,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa00p88, European Regional Science Association.
- Ritsila, Jari & Tervo, Hannu, 2002. " Effects of Unemployment on New Firm Formation: Micro-level Panel Data Evidence from Finland," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 31-40, August.
- Hannu Niittykangas & Hannu Tervo, 2005. "Spatial variations in intergenerational transmission of self-employment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(3), pages 319-332.
- Raquel Carrasco & Mette Ejrnæs, 2003. "Self-employment in Denmark and Spain: Institution, Economic Conditions and Gender differences," CAM Working Papers 2003-06, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Sueyoshi, Glenn T, 1995. "A Class of Binary Response Models for Grouped Duration Data," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(4), pages 411-31, Oct.-Dec..
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Hannu Tervo, 2004. "Self-employment dynamics in rural and urban labour markets," ERSA conference papers ersa04p396, European Regional Science Association.
- Aki Kangasharju & Sari Pekkala, 2001. "The Role of Education in Self-Employment Success," Studies in Economics 0116, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Millán, José María & Congregado, Emilio & Román, Concepción, 2014. "Persistence in entrepreneurship and its implications for the European entrepreneurial promotion policy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 83-106.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Rouvinen, Petri, 2008.
"The labour market consequences of self-employment spells: European evidence,"
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 246-271, April.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Rouvinen, Petri, 2008. "The Labour Market Consequences of Self-employment Spells: European Evidence," Discussion Papers 1129, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Vera Rocha & Anabela Carneiro & Celeste Amorim Varum, 2013. "Entrepreneurship Dynamics: Entry Routes, Business-Owner's Persistence and Exit Modes," CEF.UP Working Papers 1310, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2011066 is not listed on IDEAS
- Oberschachtsiek, Dirk, 2010. "How do local labor market conditions and individual characteristics affect quitting selfemployment?," Discussion Papers, Presidential Department P 2010-001, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- José María Millán & Emilio Congregado & Concepción Román, 2010.
"Determinants of Self-Employment Dynamics and their Implications on Entrepreneurial Policy Effectiveness,"
Lecturas de Economía,
Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía, issue 72, pages 45-76.
- Millán, José María & Congregado, Emilio & Román, Concepción, 2010. "Determinants of Self-Employment Dynamics and their Implications on Entrepreneurial Policy Effectiveness," REVISTA LECTURAS DE ECONOMÍA, UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA - CIE.
- Dirk Oberschachtsiek, 2012. "The experience of the founder and self-employment duration: a comparative advantage approach," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 1-17, July.
- José Millán & Emilio Congregado & Concepción Román, 2012. "Determinants of self-employment survival in Europe," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 231-258, February.
- Klaesson, Johan & Larsson, Johan P, 2014. "Education and Self-employment Propensity," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 345, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- André van Stel & José Maria Millán & Concepcion Roman, 2013. "Investigating the impact of the technological environment on survival chances of employer entrepreneurs," Scales Research Reports H201208, EIM Business and Policy Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.