The effect of inflation and real wages on productivity: new evidence from a panel of G7 countries
AbstractThis article examines the effect of inflation and real wages on productivity within a panel unit root and panel cointegration framework for the G7 countries over the period 1960 to 2004. The main contribution of the article is to provide panel long-run estimates of the effect of inflation and real wages on productivity in the G7 countries over this period. The article finds that for the panel as a whole a 1% increase in real wages generates a 0.6% increase in productivity, while the effects of inflation on productivity are statistically insignificant for most of the individual countries and for the panel as a whole.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 41 (2009)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Freddy, Liew, 2011. "Productivity-wage-growth nexus: an empirical study of Singapore," MPRA Paper 34459, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- George Shih-Ku Chen, 2009.
"Determinants Of Taiwanese Investment In China: An Agglomeration Economies-Based Perspective,"
Development Research Unit Working Paper Series
01-09, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Chen, George Shih-Ku, 2009. "Determinants of Taiwanese investment in China: An agglomeration economies-based perspective," MPRA Paper 13894, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bildirici, Melike E. & Kayıkçı, Fazıl, 2012. "Economic growth and electricity consumption in former Soviet Republics," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 747-753.
- Tang, Chor Foon, 2010. "A note on the nonlinear wages-productivity nexus for Malaysia," MPRA Paper 24355, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Saten Kumar & Don J. Webber & Geoff Perry, 2009.
"Real wages, inflation and labour productivity in Australia,"
0921, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- Saten Kumar & Don J. Webber & Geoff Perry, 2012. "Real wages, inflation and labour productivity in Australia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(23), pages 2945-2954, August.
- Kumar, Saten & Webber, Don J. & Perry, Geoff, 2009. "Real Wages, Inflation and Labour Productivity in Australia," MPRA Paper 19293, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chor Foon Tang, 2012. "The non-monotonic effect of real wages on labour productivity: New evidence from the manufacturing sector in Malaysia," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 39(6), pages 391-399, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.