What drives inflation expectations in Brazil? An empirical analysis
AbstractThis study examines the macro-economic determinants of survey inflation expectations in Brazil since the adoption of inflation targeting in 1999. The results suggest that the inflation-targeting framework has helped anchor expectations, with the dispersion of inflation expectations declining considerably, particularly during periods of high uncertainty. We also find that apart from the inflation target, the stance of fiscal policy, as proxied by the ratio of the consolidated primary surplus to GDP, has been instrumental in shaping expectations. The importance of past inflation in determining expectations appears to be relatively low, and the overall empirical evidence does not suggest the presence of substantial inertia in the inflation process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 41 (2009)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Other versions of this item:
- Martin Cerisola & Gaston Gelos, 2005. "What Drives Inflation Expectations in Brazil? An Empirical Analysis," IMF Working Papers 05/109, International Monetary Fund.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 2000.
"Inflation Dynamics: A Structural Econometric Analysis,"
NBER Working Papers
7551, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999. "Inflation dynamics: A structural econometric analysis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 195-222, October.
- Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1998. "Inflation dynamics: A structural econometric analysis," Economics Working Papers 341, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Cati, Regina Celia & Garcia, Marcio G P & Perron, Pierre, 1999. "Unit Roots in the Presence of Abrupt Governmental Interventions with an Application to Brazilian Data," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(1), pages 27-56, Jan.-Feb..
- Arminio Fraga & Ilan Goldfajn & André Minella, 2003.
"Inflation Targeting in Emerging Market Economies,"
Working Papers Series
76, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Reisen Valderio A & Cribari-Neto Francisco & Jensen Mark J, 2003. "Long Memory Inflationary Dynamics: The Case of Brazil," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(3), pages 1-18, October.
- André Minella & Paulo Springer de Freitas & Ilan Goldfajn & Marcelo Kfoury Muinhos, 2003.
"Inflation Targeting in Brazil: Constructing Credibility under Exchange Rate Volatility,"
Working Papers Series
77, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Minella, Andre & de Freitas, Paulo Springer & Goldfajn, Ilan & Muinhos, Marcelo Kfoury, 2003. "Inflation targeting in Brazil: constructing credibility under exchange rate volatility," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 1015-1040, December.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2004. "Fiscal Dominance and Inflation Targeting: Lessons from Brazil," NBER Working Papers 10389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corbo, Vittorio & Landerretche, Oscar & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 2001.
"Assessing Inflation Targeting after a Decade of World Experience,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 343-68, October.
- Vittorio Corbo & Oscar Landerretche & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2001. "Assessing Inflation Targeting after a Decade of World Experience," Working Papers 51, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2004. "Can Inflation Targeting Work in Emerging Market Countries?," NBER Working Papers 10646, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Novaes, Ana Dolores, 1993. "Revisiting the inertial inflation hypothesis for Brazil," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 89-110, October.
- André Minella & Paulo Springer de Freitas & Ilan Goldfajn & Marcelo Kfoury Muinhos, 2003. "Inflation Targeting in Brazil: Constructing Credibility Under Exchange Rate Volatility," Anais do XXXI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 31th Brazilian Economics Meeting] b26, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Oya Celasun & R. Gaston Gelos & Alessandro Prati, 2004.
"Obstacles to disinflation: what is the role of fiscal expectations?,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 19(40), pages 441-481, October.
- Gaston Gelos & Alessandro Prati & Oya Celasun, 2004. "Obstacles to Disinflation: What is the Role of Fiscal Expectations?," IMF Working Papers 04/111, International Monetary Fund.
- Ana Katarina Campêlo & Francisco Cribari-Neto, 2003. "Inflation Inertia and Inliers: The Case of Brazil," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 57(4), pages 713-739, October.
- Alesina, Alberto & Summers, Lawrence H, 1993. "Central Bank Independence and Macroeconomic Performance: Some Comparative Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(2), pages 151-62, May.
- Luis Fernando Escobar Patiño & Pablo Mendieta Ossio, 2003.
"Inflación y depreciación en una economía dolarizada. El caso de Bolivia,"
Revista de Análisis del BCB,
Banco Central de Bolivia, vol. 6(2-1), pages 7-50, December.
- Luis Fernando Escobar Patiño & Pablo Hernán Mendieta Ossio, 2006. "Inflación y depreciación en una economía dolarizada: el caso de Bolivia," Monetaria, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(1), pages 1-39, enero-mar.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Luiz A. Pereira da Silva, 2013. "Rethinking Inflation Targeting: A Perspective from the Developing World," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 185, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Sergio A. L. Alves & Waldyr D. Areosa, 2005. "Targets and Inflation Dynamics," Working Papers Series 100, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Montes, Gabriel Caldas, 2009.
"Política monetária, inflação e crescimento econômico: a influência da reputação da autoridade monetária sobre a economia,"
Revista Economia e Sociedade,
Instituto de Economia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP), vol. 37, pages 23, August.
- Gabriel Caldas Montes & Carmem Aparecida Feijó, 2007. "Política Monetária, Inflação E Crescimento Econômico: A Influência Da Reputação Da Autoridade Monetária Sobre A Economia," Anais do XXXV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 35th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 069, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Yusuf Soner Baskaya & Hakan Kara & Defne Mutluer, 2008. "Expectations, Communication and Monetary Policy in Turkey," Working Papers 0801, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Borraz, Fernando & Gianelli, Diego, 2010.
"Un Análisis de Comportamiento a Nivel de Agente de la Encuesta de Expectativas de Inflación del BCU
[A Behavior Analysis of the BCU Inflation Expectation Survey]," MPRA Paper 27713, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fernando Borraz & Diego Gianelli, 2011. "Un análisis de comportamiento a nivel de agente de la encuesta de expectativas de inflación del BCU," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0111, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Hiroyuki Taguchi & Chizuru Kato, 2011.
"Assessing the performance of inflation targeting in East Asian economies,"
Asian-Pacific Economic Literature,
Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 25(1), pages 93-102, 05.
- Hiroyuki Taguchi & Chizuru Kato, 2010. "Assessing the Performance of Inflation Targeting in East Asian economies," Macroeconomics Working Papers 23078, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Roman Horváth & Jakub Matějů, 2011.
"How Are Inflation Targets Set?,"
Working Papers IES
2011/01, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Jan 2011.
- Roman Horvath & Jakub Mateju, 2010. "How Are Inflation Targets Set?," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp426, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Roman Horvath & Jakub Mateju, 2011. "How are Inflation Targets Set?," Working Papers 2011/06, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Afonso S. Bevilaqua & Mário Mesquita & André Minella, 2007.
"Brazil: taming inflation expectations,"
Working Papers Series
129, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Afonso S Bevilaqua & Mário Mesquita & André Minella, 2008. "Brazil: taming inflation expectations," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Transmission mechanisms for monetary policy in emerging market economies, volume 35, pages 139-158 Bank for International Settlements.
- Mick Silver, 2006. "Core Inflation Measures and Statistical Issues in Choosing Among Them," IMF Working Papers 06/97, International Monetary Fund.
- Castelnuovo, Efrem, 2010.
"Tracking U.S. inflation expectations with domestic and global indicators,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1340-1356, November.
- Efrem Castelnuovo, 2006. "Tracking U.S. Inflation Expectations with Domestic and Global Indicators," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0031, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- International Monetary Fund, 2012. "Inflation Responses to Commodity Price Shocks - How and Why Do Countries Differ?," IMF Working Papers 12/225, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael Debabrata Patra & Partha Ray, 2010. "Inflation Expectations and Monetary Policy in India: An Empirical Exploration," IMF Working Papers 10/84, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.