Productivity convergence in the European regions, 1980-2003: a sectoral and spatial approach
AbstractThis article analyses the evolution of the EU productivity between 1980 and 2003, both across regions and sectors. By making use of various techniques (cross-section, nonparametric and spatial approaches) it concludes that: (1) the regional and sectoral dispersion of productivity is quite high; (2) the gains experienced in aggregate productivity are due entirely to the sectors productivity growth effect; (3) there is a weak beta-convergence process at the aggregate and sectoral levels; (4) the accounting decomposition of the aggregate productivity convergence process reveals the sectoral productivity growth effect to be the only responsible factor for regional catching-up; (5) finally, there are clear signs of spatial dependence which, when properly addressed, increase the speed of convergence at the aggregate level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 40 (2008)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roberta Colavecchio & Declan Curran & Michael Funke, 2009.
"Drifting together or falling apart? The empirics of regional economic growth in post-unification Germany,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(9), pages 1087-1098.
- Roberta Colavecchio & Declan Curran & Michael Funke, 2005. "Drifting Together or Falling Apart? The Empirics of Regional Economic Growth in Post-Unification Germany," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20509, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Roberta Colavecchio & Declan Curran & Michael Funke, 2005. "Drifting Together or Falling Apart? The Empirics of Regional Economic Growth in Post-Unification Germany," CESifo Working Paper Series 1533, CESifo Group Munich.
- Michael Funke & Roberta Colavecchio & Declan Curran, 2011. "Drifting together of falling apart? The empirics of regional economic growth in post-unification Germany," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 21102, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Sondermann, David, 2012. "Productivity in the euro area: any evidence of convergence?," Working Paper Series 1431, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.