Inflation bias after the Euro: evidence from the UK and Italy
AbstractThis article presents an indirect approach to investigate the possible existence of measurement error bias in the harmonized index of consumer prices for the UK and Italy. Our empirical results show that there is no significant evidence of a bias for the UK or for Italy prior to the introduction of the Euro. Since January 2002, however, the inflation rate in Italy has been underestimated by at least 6 percentage points.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 39 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Other versions of this item:
- Giancarlo Marini & Alessandro Piergallini & Pasquale Scaramozzino, 2004. "Inflation Bias after the Euro: Evidence from the UK and Italy," CEIS Research Paper 60, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- D14 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Saving; Personal Finance
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alessandro Girardi & Marco Ventura, 2011.
"The Euro Changeover and Price Adjustments in Italy,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1114, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alessandro Girardi & Marco Ventura, 2012. "The euro changeover and price adjustments in Italy," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 379-382, March.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alessandro Girardi & Marco Ventura, 2011. "The Euro Changeover and Price Adjustments in Italy," CESifo Working Paper Series 3386, CESifo Group Munich.
- Raghubir, Priya, 2006. "An information processing review of the subjective value of money and prices," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(10-11), pages 1053-1062, October.
- Fabrizio Balli & Silvia Tiezzi, 2010. "Equivalence scales, the cost of children and household consumption patterns in Italy," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 527-549, December.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:1:y:2008:i:3:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Giam Pietro Cipriani & Angelo Zago & Diego Lubian, 2008. "Money Illusion: Are Economists Different?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 1(3), pages 1-9.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.