Survival chances of new businesses: do regional conditions matter?
AbstractThis article analyses the effects of industry-, regional- and firm-level characteristics on the post-entry performance of new businesses by means of an econometric survival time model. First preference is given to an accelerated failure time model assuming a log-logistic distribution. The data involve a representative sample of businesses in the private sector of West Germany during 1993 to 2002 period. The results demonstrate that the regional dimension is most important; whereas firm-level characteristics play a subordinated role.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 39 (2007)
Issue (Month): 16 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Oberschachtsiek, Dirk & Scioch, Patrycja, 2011. "The outcome of coaching and training for self-employment : a statistical evaluation of non-financial support schemes for unemployed business founders in Germany," IAB Discussion Paper 201116, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Christophe Bontemps & Zohra Bouamra-Mechemache & Michel Simioni, 2013.
"Quality labels and firm survival: some first empirical evidence,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 40(3), pages 413-439, July.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Simioni, Michel, 2013. "Quality Labels and Firm Survival: Some First Empirical Evidence," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Simioni, Michel, 2012.
"Quality Labels and Firm Survival in the French Cheese Industry,"
IDEI Working Papers
741, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Simioni, Michel, 2012. "Quality Labels and Firm Survival in the French Cheese Industry," TSE Working Papers 12-335, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Oberschachtsiek, Dirk, 2010. "How do local labor market conditions and individual characteristics affect quitting selfemployment?," Discussion Papers, Presidential Department P 2010-001, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Matthew A. COLE & Robert J R ELLIOTT & OKUBO Toshihiro & Eric STROBL, 2013. "Natural Disasters and Plant Survival: The impact of the Kobe earthquake," Discussion papers 13063, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.