Firms' leverage and labour productivity: a quantile approach in Portuguese firms
AbstractWe show that the leverage of Portuguese firms tends to negatively affect its labour productivity for firms with relatively lower labour productivity but to positively affect this variable for firms in the right-hand side of the productivity distribution. This is particularly important in a country where labour productivity is persistently lower compared with the richer countries in Europe. Thus, we have concluded that, controlling for the usual effects, increasing leverage cannot be a solution for the less productive (and consequently the majority) of Portuguese firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 39 (2007)
Issue (Month): 14 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/f6h8764enu2lskk9p4sr364g4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michele Bernini & Sarah Guillou & Flora Bellone, 2013.
"Firms leverage and export quality:evidence from France,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2013-13, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Michele Bernini & Sarah Guillou & Flora Bellone, 2013. "Firms' Leverage and Export Quality: Evidence from France," GREDEG Working Papers 2013-29, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Economie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis.
- Chen, Minjia & Guariglia, Alessandra, 2013. "Internal financial constraints and firm productivity in China: Do liquidity and export behavior make a difference?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 1123-1140.
- Sarah Guillou & Michel Bernini & Flora Bellone, 2013. "Firms leverage and export quality evidence from France," Sciences Po publications 2013-13, Sciences Po.
- Daniela, Maggioni, 2011.
"Productivity dispersion and its determinants: the role of import penetration,"
37154, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniela Maggioni, 2013. "Productivity Dispersion and its Determinants: The Role of Import Penetration," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 537-561, December.
- Minjia Chen & Alessandra Guariglia, . "Financial constraints and firm productivity in China: do liquidity and export behavior make a difference?," Discussion Papers 11/09, University of Nottingham, GEP.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.