Anticipated effects of the minimum wage on prices
AbstractThere is little empirical evidence on the effect of minimum wage increases on prices, particularly for developing countries. This paper provides estimates of this effect using monthly Brazilian household and firm data over 18 years. As minimum wage increases in Brazil sare large and frequent, they have a potentially important impact on aggregate prices. Rational agents, in anticipation of such price effects, may take minimum wage increases as a signal for future price and wage bargains. We find that the minimum wage raises overall prices not only on the month of the increase, but also in the two months prior to the change as well as after the change.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 38 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Other versions of this item:
- J38 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Public Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Machin & Alan Manning & Lupin Rahman, 2003. "Where the Minimum Wage Bites Hard: Introduction of Minimum Wages to a Low Wage Sector," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(1), pages 154-180, 03.
- Stephen Machin & Alan Manning, 1992. "Minimum Wages," CEP Discussion Papers dp0080, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Edward M. Gramlich, 1976. "Impact of Minimum Wages on Other Wages, Employment, and Family Incomes," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 7(2), pages 409-462.
- Jaehwan Park & Ronald Ratti, 1998. "Stationary data and the effect of the minimum wage on teenage employment," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(4), pages 435-440.
- Poterba, James M., 1996. "Retail Price Reactions to Changes in State and Local Sales Taxes," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 49(2), pages 165-76, June.
- Lemos, Sara, 2004.
"The Effect of the Minimum Wage on Prices,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1072, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
NBER Working Papers
5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Sara Lemos, 2004. "Minimum Wage Policy and Employment Effects: Evidence from Brazil," JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA, LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- David Neumark & William Wascher, 1992. "Employment effects of minimum and subminimum wages: Panel data on state minimum wage laws," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 46(1), pages 55-81, October.
- Weiss, Y., 1992. "Inflation and price Adjustment : A Susvey of Findings from Micro-Data," Papers 3-92, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- Daniel Aaronson, 2001. "Price Pass-Through And The Minimum Wage," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(1), pages 158-169, February.
- Juli?n Messina & Anna Sanz-de-Galdeano, 2014.
"Wage Rigidity and Disinflation in Emerging Countries,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 6(1), pages 102-33, January.
- Messina, Julián & Sanz-de-Galdeano, Anna, 2011. "Wage Rigidity and Disinflation in Emerging Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 5778, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Messina, Julian & Sanz-de-Galdeano, Anna, 2011. "Wage rigidity and disinflation in emerging countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5863, The World Bank.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Luz Karine Ardila & Miguel Ignacio Gömez, .
"Efecto del cambio del salario mínimo en el precio de las comidas fuera del hogar en Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
584, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Luz Karine Ardila & Miguel Igancio Gómez, 2010. "Efecto del cambio del salario mínimo en el precio de las comidas fuera del hogar en Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 006621, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Werner, Thomas & Sell, Friedrich L. & Reinisch, David C., 2013. "Price effects of minimum wages: Evidence from the construction sector in East and West Germany," Working Papers in Economics 2013,4, Universität der Bundeswehr München, Economic Research Group.
- Gabriel Ulyssea & Miguel N. Foguel, 2006. "Efeitos do Salário Mínimo Sobre o Mercado de Trabalho Brasileiro," Discussion Papers 1168, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Ernesto Sheriff, 2010. "Inflationary memory as restrictive factor of the impact of the public expense in the economic growth: lessons from high inflation Latin American countries using an innovative inflationary memory indic," Development Research Working Paper Series 13/2010, Institute for Advanced Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.