Tax policy and yardstick voting in Flemish municipal elections
AbstractRecent theoretical papers develop political agency models in which voters compare tax policy with that in neighbouring jurisdictions. In these yardstick competition models voters judge incumbents by comparing their policy with policy in neighbouring jurisdictions. This paper reports an analysis of municipal elections in Flanders during the period 1982 to 2000 and finds empirical evidence for yardstick voting. Incumbents are punished for higher tax rates. Importantly, the electoral punishment also depends on tax rates in neighbouring municipalities. Higher rates in neighbouring municipalities are favourable for the incumbents.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 38 (2006)
Issue (Month): 19 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Benny Geys & Federico Revelli, 2009.
"Decentralization, Competition and the local tax mix: evidence from Flanders,"
2009/17, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Geys Benny & Revelli Federico, 2009. "Decentralization, competition and the local tax mix: Evidence from Flanders," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 200902, University of Turin.
- Geys, Benny & Moesen, Wim, 2008. "Measuring local government technical (in)efficiency: An application and comparison of FDH, DEA and econometric approaches," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance 2008-21, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Claudio A Agostini, 2011.
"Neighbor Effects in the Provision of Public Goods in a Young Democracy: Evidence from China,"
wp_008, Adolfo Ibáñez University, School of Government.
- Agostini, Claudio A. & Brown, Philip H. & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2010. "Neighbor effects in the provision of public goods in a young democracy: Evidence from China," IFPRI discussion papers 1027, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Heinemann, Friedrich & Overesch, Michael & Rincke, Johannes, 2008.
"Rate Cutting Tax Reforms and Corporate Tax Competition in Europe,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
08-028, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Friedrich Heinemann & Michael Overesch & Johannes Rincke, 2010. "Rate-Cutting Tax Reforms And Corporate Tax Competition In Europe," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 498-518, November.
- Franklin G. Mixon & Ernest W. King, 2012. "Helping Hispanic-America vote? Ballot technology, voter fatigue and HAVA 2002," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(6), pages 785-792, February.
- Pierre Salmon, 2013. "How significant is yardstick competition among governments? Three reasons to dig deeper," Working Papers hal-00830872, HAL.
- Revelli, Federico, 2008.
"Performance competition in local media markets,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(7), pages 1585-1594, July.
- Revelli Federico, 2008. "Performance Competition in Local Media Markets," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 200801, University of Turin.
- Eric Dubois & Sonia Paty, 2010.
"Yardstick competition: which neighbours matter?,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 433-452, June.
- Kristien Werck & Bruno Heyndels & Benny Geys, 2008.
"The impact of ‘central places’ on spatial spending patterns: evidence from Flemish local government cultural expenditures,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 35-58, March.
- Werck, Kristien & Heyndels, Bruno & Geys, Benny, 2007. "The impact of central places on spatial spending patterns: evidence from Flemish local government cultural expenditures," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance SP II 2007-10, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Jastramskis, Mažvydas, 2012. "Election forecasting in Lithuania: The case of municipal elections," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 822-829.
- Geys, Benny & Moesen, Wim, 2008. "Exploring sources of local government technical inefficiency: evidence from Flemish municipalities," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance SP II 2008-18, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Pierre Salmon, 2013. "Horizontal competition in multilevel governmental settings," Working Papers hal-00830876, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.