Effects of income inequality on population health: new evidence from the european community household panel
AbstractThis study provides new evidence in order to explore the relationship between income inequality and health in the European Union countries using new data from the European Community Household Panel (ECHP). A variety of different specifications were tried using diverse dependent variables such as life expectancy at birth and child mortality. The results show new support to the influence of income inequality on health indicators using aggregate data and panel techniques.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 37 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angus Deaton, 1999.
"Inequalities in income and inequalities in health,"
280, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Center for Health and Wellbeing..
- John Wildman & Hugh Gravelle & Matthew Sutton, 2003. "Health and income inequality: attempting to avoid the aggregation problem," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(9), pages 999-1004.
- Eddy van Doorslaer & Xander Koolman, 2004. "Explaining the differences in income-related health inequalities across European countries," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 609-628.
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762, December.
- Gravelle, Hugh & Wildman, John & Sutton, Matthew, 2002.
"Income, income inequality and health: what can we learn from aggregate data?,"
Social Science & Medicine,
Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 577-589, February.
- Hugh Gravelle & John Wildman & Matthew Sutton, . "Income, Income Inequality and Health: What can we Learn from Aggregate Data?," Discussion Papers 00/26, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Almas Heshmati & Arno Tausch & Chemen S. J. Bajalan, 2008.
"Measurement and Analysis of Child Well-Being in Middle and High Income Countries,"
European Journal of Comparative Economics,
Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 5(2), pages 187-249, December.
- Heshmati, Almas & Bajalan, Chemen S. J. & Tausch, Arno, 2007. "Measurement and Analysis of Child Well-Being in Middle and High Income Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 3203, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jonathan Bradshaw & Petra Hoelscher & Dominic Richardson, 2007. "An Index of Child Well-being in the European Union," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 80(1), pages 133-177, January.
- Pascual Sáez, Marta & Cantarero Prieto, David, 2007. "Características socio-económicas de las personas con discapacidad en España: un estudio empírico/Socio-Economic Characteristics of People with Disabilities in Spain: an Empirical Study," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 25, pages 817 - 23 pÃ, Diciembre.
- TAUSCH, Arno, 2008. "On the world market trajectory of 21 major book publishing companies in globalization and European studies in 100+ countries. From “Amsterdam University Press” via “Palgrave” and “Nova Scien," MPRA Paper 9613, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cooper, D. & McCausland, W.D. & Theodossiou, I., 2006. "The health hazards of unemployment and poor education: The socioeconomic determinants of health duration in the European Union," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 273-297, December.
- Tausch, Arno, 2009.
"Schaufenster Griechenland – was kann aus dem aktuellen Debakel für das soziale Europa gelernt werden?
[Showcase Greece – what can be learnt from the current debacle for a Social Europe?]]," MPRA Paper 14251, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.