Labour participation in Colombia
AbstractA model is estimated for the decision of participating in the labour market for different groups of household members: not coupled (single, divorced and widow) women and men and coupled (married and in permanent union) women and men. The differences among these groups are significant. Probit models are estimated for the period 1984 : 1-2000 : 4 using the National Housing Survey. The neoclassical static model performs fairly well in describing the empirical determinants of the decision of participating. In terms of sign and significance of estimated coefficients the best performance of the model is reached for women. In terms of prediction the model proves useful for not coupled persons. Except for the variable named 'children aged less than six years', all variables perform well.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 37 (2005)
Issue (Month): 16 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reuben Gronau, 1974.
"The Effect of Children on the Housewife's Value of Time,"
in: Economics of the Family: Marriage, Children, and Human Capital, pages 457-490
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gronau, Reuben, 1973. "The Effect of Children on the Housewife's Value of Time," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(2), pages S168-99, Part II, .
- Orazio Attanasio & ValÃ©rie Lechene, 2002.
"Tests of Income Pooling in Household Decisions,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 5(4), pages 720-748, October.
- Killingsworth, Mark R. & Heckman, James J., 1987. "Female labor supply: A survey," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & R. Layard (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 103-204 Elsevier.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Paola Montenegro & Nataly Obando, .
"El desempleo en Pereira: ¿sólo cuestión de remesas?,"
Borradores de Economia
636, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Paola Montenegro & Nataly Obando, 2011. "El desempleo en Pereira: ¿sólo cuestión de remesas?," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 007871, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Arango Luis E. & Carlos E. Posada, 2007.
"Labor Participation of Married Women in Colombia,"
REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD,
UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Carlos Esteban Posada, . "Labor Participation of Married Women in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 357, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2005. "Labor Participation of Married Women in Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003103, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.