Macroeconomic effects of Catalan fiscal deficit with the Spanish state (2002-2010)
AbstractAccording to Eurostat Regional data for the period 1996-1999 Catalan convergence with the EU's most dynamic regions has been blocked. In this paper, with the aim to analyse how Catalonia can converge with the EU in the forthcoming years, some simulations of Catalan GDP growth in the 2010 horizon have been estimated, considering different reduction scenarios of Catalan fiscal deficit with the Spanish state (between 7-9% of Catalan yearly GDP). Looking at the results obtained, the current Catalan stagnation will persist for the next few years if the above-mentioned fiscal deficit does not change. Thus, Catalonia will only converge with most dynamic EU regions if there is a significant reduction of Catalan fiscal deficit with the Spanish state.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 37 (2005)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Other versions of this item:
- Jordi Pons & Ramon Tremosa-i-Balcells, 2003. "Macroeconomic Effects of Catalan Fiscal Deficit with the Spanish State (2002-2010) (?)," ERSA conference papers ersa03p128, European Regional Science Association.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abadie, Alberto & Gardeazabal, Javier, 2001.
"The Economic Costs of Conflict: A Case-Control Study for the Basque Country,"
Working Paper Series
rwp01-048, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Alberto Abadie & Javier Gardeazabal, 2001. "The Economic Costs of Conflict: A Case-Control Study for the Basque Country," NBER Working Papers 8478, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joan Costa-i-Font & Ramon Tremosa-i-Balcells, . "Spanish Regions and the Macroeconomic Benefits of European Monetary Union (EMU)," Studies on the Spanish Economy 89, FEDEA.
- Joan Costa-i-Font & Ramon Tremosa-i-Balcells, 2003. "Spanish Regions and the Macroeconomic Benefits of the European Monetary Union," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 217-226.
- Stefan Mittnik & Thorsten Neumann, 2001. "Dynamic effects of public investment: Vector autoregressive evidence from six industrialized countries," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 429-446.
- William D. Nordhaus, 2002. "The Economic Consequences of a War with Iraq," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1387, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Joan Costa-i-Font, 2010. "Unveiling Vertical State Downscaling: Identity and/or the Economy?," Europe in Question Discussion Paper Series of the London School of Economics (LEQs) 0, London School of Economics / European Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.