Regional convergence in Greece in the 1980s: an econometric investigation
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to evaluate empirically regional convergence in Greece during the 1981-1991 period of participation in the European Economic Community (EEC). Census data at NUTS III level of regional disaggregation are used. A number of structural policies undertaken in the 1980s, motivated by membership in the EEC, were conducive to regional convergence among the 51 NUTS III regions of Greece. Four different dependent variables and three model specifications are used to test the hypothesis of regional convergence. The overall evidence does not reject the idea of regional convergence. The estimated convergence coefficients are relatively similar across the three model specifications but they vary with the dependent variable used to measure convergence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Soukiazis, Elias & Antunes, Micaela, 2011.
"Is foreign trade important for regional growth? Empirical evidence from Portugal,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1363-1373, May.
- Elias Soukiazis & Micaela Antunes, 2010. "Is foreign trade important for regional growth? Empirical evidence from Portugal," GEMF Working Papers 2010-13, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Angelos Liontakis & Christos T. Papadas & Irene Tzouramani, 2011. "Regional Economic Convergence in Greece: A Stochastic Dominance Approach," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1188, European Regional Science Association.
- Benos, Nikos & Karagiannis, Stelios, 2013. "Do Cross-Section Dependence and Parameter Heterogeneity Matter? Evidence on Human Capital and Productivity in Greece," MPRA Paper 53326, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Panagiotis Liargovas & Georgios Fotopoulos, 2009.
"Socioeconomic Indicators for Analyzing Convergence: The Case of Greece: 1960–2004,"
Social Indicators Research,
Springer, vol. 93(2), pages 315-330, September.
- Panagiotis Liargovas & Georgios Fotopoulos, 2008. "Socioeconomic indicators for analyzing Convergence: the case of Greece: 1960-2004," Working Papers 0014, University of Peloponnese, Department of Economics.
- Yorucu, Vedat & Katircioğlu, Salih Turan, 2014. "Radioactive convergence of nuclear leakage in Fukushima: Economic impact analysis of triple tragic events," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 400-409.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.