The impact of the regulation of the cable television industry: the effect on quality-adjusted cable television prices
AbstractBetween the mid-1980s and early 1990s, cable television rates increased substantially. Simple price comparisons over the regulated and deregulated eras are difficult as the programming changed simultaneously. Using a modified hedonic framework to allow for the lack of competition on the supply side of the industry, this paper imputes the price for regulation era cable packages using consumers' estimated willingness to pay for individual satellite networks during the unregulated period. Then a 'quality adjusted' price for the cable package offered in 1985 is estimated. On average, regulation benefited consumers by keeping prices below monopolist's profit maximizing price.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beil, Richard O, Jr, et al, 1993. "Competition and the Price of Municipal Cable Television Services: An Empirical Study," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 401-15, December.
- John S. Ying & Mary T. Kelly, 2007.
"Testing the Effectiveness of Regulation and Competition on Cable Television Rates,"
07-07, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- Mary T Kelly & John S Ying, 2014. "Testing the Effectiveness of Regulation and Competition on Cable Television Rates," Eastern Economic Journal, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(3), pages 387-404, June.
- Mary T. Kelly & John S. Ying, 2009. "Testing the Effectiveness of Regulation and Competition on Cable Television Rates," Villanova School of Business Department of Economics and Statistics Working Paper Series 3, Villanova School of Business Department of Economics and Statistics.
- Mary T. Kelly & John S. Ying, 2013. "Testing the Effectiveness of Regulation and Competition on Cable Television Rates," Working Papers 13-06, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- Naoki Watanabe & Ryo Nakajima & Takanori Ida, 2010. "Quality-Adjusted Prices of Japanese Mobile Phone Handsets and Carriers’ Strategies," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 391-412, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.