Interpreting the procyclical productivity of manufacturing sectors: can we really rule out external effects?
AbstractRecent empirical contributions on procyclical productivity have focused on the dynamic implications of persistent aggregate fluctuations on sectoral productivity. Given a permanent innovation in aggregate output, unobserved variations of labour (or capital) utilization may have only a transitory effect on measured productivity, whereas external effects should produce permanent effects. It is found that persistent aggregate fluctuations have a permanent effect on productivity of four-digit US manufacturing industries. While a number of alternative explanations of this evidence are discussed and ruled out, the findings are consistent with a simple model with external or thick market effects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2002)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francesco Busato & Bruno Charini & Enrico Marchetti, 2004.
"Indeterminacy, Underground Activities and Tax Evasion,"
Economics Working Papers
2004-12, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Busato, Francesco & Chiarini, Bruno & Marchetti, Enrico, 2011. "Indeterminacy, underground activities and tax evasion," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 831-844, May.
- Francesco Busato & Bruno Chiarini & Enrico Marchetti, 2005. "Indeterminacy, Underground Activities and Tax Evasion," Working Papers 289, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Busato, Francesco & Marchetti, Enrico, 2010.
"Endogenous skill cycles,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 175-185, September.
- Francesco Busato & Enrico Marchetti, 2006.
"Skills, sunspots and cycles,"
Economics Working Papers
2006-07, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Costantini, Mauro & Destefanis, Sergio, 2009. "Cointegration analysis for cross-sectionally dependent panels: The case of regional production functions," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 320-327, March.
- Lucas Navarro & Raimundo Soto, 2006. "Procyclical Productivity in Manufacturing," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 43(127), pages 193-220.
- Eliseo Díaz González, 2006. "La productividad total de factores en la industria eléctrica y electrónica. El caso de la industria maquiladora en México," Economia Mexicana NUEVA EPOCA, , vol. 0(2), pages 251-287, July-Dece.
- Francesco Busato & Bruno Chiarini & Enrico Marchetti, 2005. "Fiscal Policy under Indeterminacy and Tax Evasion," Economics Working Papers 2005-09, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.