Household demand for fats and oils: two-step estimation of a censored demand system
AbstractA censored system of household fat and oil demand equations is estimated with a two-step procedure, using cross-sectional data from the 1987-1988 US Nationwide Food Consumption Survey. Own price and total expenditure elasticities are close to unity and there is no evidence of gross substitutability. Compensated elasticities suggest net substitution among the products considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2002)
Issue (Month): 14 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bakhshoodeh, M., 2010. "Impacts of world prices transmission to domestic rice markets in rural Iran," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 12-19, February.
- Tefera, Nigussie, 2012. "Welfare Impacts of Rising Food Prices in Rural Ethiopia: a Quadratic Almost Ideal Demand System Approach," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126698, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zheng, Zhihao & Henneberry, Shida Rastegari, 2012. "Estimating the impacts of rising food prices on nutrient intake in urban China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 1090-1103.
- Hasan Tekguc, 2011.
"Separability between own food production and consumption in Turkey,"
2011-01, Mardin Artuklu Univeristy, Department of Economics.
- Hasan Tekgüç, 2012. "Separability between own food production and consumption in Turkey," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 423-439, September.
- Mikkel Barslund, 2011. "Censored Demand System Estimation with Endogenous Expenditures in clustered samples: an application to food demand in urban Mozambique," LICOS Discussion Papers 28011, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Fabrizio Balli & Silvia Tiezzi, 2010. "Equivalence scales, the cost of children and household consumption patterns in Italy," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 527-549, December.
- Harald Tauchmann, 2006. "A Note on Consistency of Heckman-type two-step Estimators for the Multivariate Sample-Selection Model," RWI Discussion Papers 0040, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Lopez, Jose Antonio & Malaga, Jaime E., 2009. "Forecast and Simulation Analysis of Mexican Meat Consumption at the Table Cut Level: Impacts on U.S. Exports," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 51986, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Castellon, Cesar E. & Boonsaeng, Tullaya & Carpio, Carlos E., 2012. "Demand System Estimation in the Absence of Price Data: an Application of Stone-Lewbel Price Indices," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124819, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Lopez, Jose Antonio & Malaga, Jaime E. & Chidmi, Benaissa & Belasco, Eric J. & Surles, James, 2012. "Mexican Meat Demand at the Table Cut Level: Estimating a Censored Demand System in a Complex Survey," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 43(2), July.
- Fadhuile, Adelaide & Lemarie, Stephane & Pirotte, Alain, 2011. "Pesticides Uses in Crop Production: What Can We Learn from French Farmers Practices?," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103654, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Astrid Jonas & Jutta Roosen, 2008. "Demand for milk labels in Germany: organic milk, conventional brands, and retail labels," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(2), pages 192-206.
- Stewart, Hayden & Yen, Steven T., 2004. "Changing household characteristics and the away-from-home food market: a censored equation system approach," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 643-658, December.
- Ecker, Olivier & Qaim, Matin, 2010. "Analyzing nutritional impacts of policies," IFPRI discussion papers 1017, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Caillavet, France & Nichele, Veronique & Soler, Louis-Georges, 2008. "Are nutritional claims an adequate tool for public health? Evidence from food purchases in France," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44007, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fabrizio balli & Silvia Tiezzi, 2008. "Households Consumption Patterns and Equivalence Scales in Italy: 1997-2004," Department of Economics University of Siena 535, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Ishdorj, Ariun & Jensen, Helen H., 2008. "Bayesian Estimation of a Censored AIDS Model for Whole Grain Products," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6075, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Davis, Christopher G. & Blayney, Donald P. & Muhammad, Andrew & Yen, Steven T. & Cooper, Joseph C., 2010. "A Cross-Sectional Analysis of U.S. Yogurt Demand," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 41(2), July.
- Ecker, Olivier & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "Analyzing Nutritional Impacts of Policies: An Empirical Study for Malawi," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 412-428, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.