New panel results on cointegration of international health expenditure and GDP
AbstractThis article tests for existence of cointegration between health expenditure and GDP using data from 25 OECD countries for the period 19607ndash;1997. The empirical modelling is based on a heterogeneous bivariate vector error correction panel model that allows for trending data as well as intercepts and trends in the cointegrating relations. Univariate country-by-country and panel unit root tests generally fail to reject the null of a unit root in the health expenditure and GDP variables. Country-by-country results based on the Johansen multivariate likelihood-based inference indicate somewhat mixed results on country-specific cointegration with a rank of one found for 12 countries and a rank of zero for the remaining 13 countries. Application of a new panel test for cointegration rank with higher power than the individual tests indicates that health expenditure and GDP are cointegrated around linear trends.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2002)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christian Richter & Andrew Hughes Hallett, 2005. "A Time-Frequency Analysis of the Coherences of the US Business," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 45, Society for Computational Economics.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Moscone, Francesco, 2010.
"Health care expenditure and income in the OECD reconsidered: Evidence from panel data,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 804-811, July.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Francesco Moscone, 2009. "Health Care Expenditure and Income in the OECD Reconsidered: Evidence from Panel Data," Discussion Papers in Economics 09/5, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Francesco Moscone, 2010. "Health Care Expenditure and Income in the OECD Reconsidered: Evidence from Panel Data," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 120, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Moscone, Francesco, 2010. "Health Care Expenditure and Income in the OECD Reconsidered: Evidence from Panel Data," IZA Discussion Papers 4851, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2010. "Modelling health and output at business cycle horizons for the USA," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(7), pages 872-880.
- Felipa de Mello-Sampayo & Sofia de Sousa Vale, 2012.
"Financing Health Care Expenditure in the OECD Countries: Evidence from a Heterogeneous, Cross-Sectionally Dependent Panel,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2012/34, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- de Mello-Sampayo, Felipa & de Sousa-Vale, Sofia, 2012. "Financing Health Care Expenditure in the OECD Countries: Evidence from a Heterogeneous, Cross-Sectionally Dependent Panel," MPRA Paper 41073, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrew Hallett & Christian Richter, 2006. "Measuring the Degree of Convergence among European Business Cycles," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 229-259, May.
- Boboc, Cristina & Driouchi, Ahmed & Titan, Emilia, 2010. "Interrelations between Education, Health, Income and Economic Development in Europe with Emphasis on New Members of European Union," MPRA Paper 22235, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 19 Apr 2010.
- Dreger, C. & Reimers, H.E., 2005.
"Health Care Expenditures in OECD Countries: A Panel Unit Root and Cointegration Analysis,"
International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies,
Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 2(2), pages 5-20.
- Dreger, Christian & Reimers, Hans-Eggert, 2005. "Health Care Expenditures in OECD Countries: A Panel Unit Root and Cointegration Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 1469, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Carla Massidda & Paolo Mattana, 2008. "Regional productivity and relative prices dynamics: the case of Italy," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 945-966, December.
- Marwa Farag & A. NandaKumar & Stanley Wallack & Dominic Hodgkin & Gary Gaumer & Can Erbil, 2012. "The income elasticity of health care spending in developing and developed countries," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 145-162, June.
- Zijun Wang & Andrew J. Rettenmaier, 2007. "A note on cointegration of health expenditures and income," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(6), pages 559-578.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.