The Fisher hypothesis: a multi-country analysis
AbstractThis paper tests whether the Fisher hypothesis holds for a sample of 26 countries by assessing the long run relationship between nominal interest rates and inflation rates taking into consideration the short run dynamics of interest rates. The empirical evidence supports the hypothesis that there is a one-to-one relationship between the interest rate and inflation for more than half of the countries under study.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2002)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hakan Berument & Nildag Basak Ceylan & Hasan Olgun, 2007.
"Inflation uncertainty and interest rates: is the Fisher relation universal?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 53-68.
- Hakan Berument & Hasan Olgun & Baþak Ceylan, 2006. "Inflation Uncertainty and Interest Rates : Is The Fisher Relation Universal?," Departmental Working Papers 0607, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Joakim Westerlund, 2008.
"Panel cointegration tests of the Fisher effect,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(2), pages 193-233.
- Mohammed Saiful ISLAM & Mohammad Hasmat ALI, 2012. "Taylor Principle Supplements the Fisher Effect: Empirical Investigation under the US Context," Economia. Seria Management, Faculty of Management, Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest, Romania, vol. 15(1), pages 189-203, June.
- Saadet Kirbas Kasman & Adnan Kasman & Evrim Turgutlu, 2005. "Fisher Hypothesis Revisited: A Fractional Cointegration Analysis," Discussion Paper Series 05/04, Dokuz Eylül University, Faculty of Business, Department of Economics, revised 23 Nov 2005.
- Ramaprasad Bhar, 2010. "Stochastic Filtering With Applications In Finance:," World Scientific Books, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., number 7736.
- Ramaprasad Bhar & Girijasankar Mallik, 2012. "Components of Inflation Uncertainty and Interest Rates: Evidence from Australia and New Zealand," Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 42(1), pages 39-49, March.
- Kandil, Magda, 2005. "Money, interest, and prices: Some international evidence," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 129-147.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.