The technical efficiency of schools in Chile
AbstractThis paper assesses the technical efficiency of schools in Chile, which is defined as the capacity of schools to generate the maximum output (academic achievement) given the quantity of inputs they use. Two alternative methodological approaches for measuring efficiency are used: (i) estimation of a stochastic production frontier, and (ii) data envelopment analysis (DEA), which allows identification of the efficient production frontier of the schools analysed nonparametrically. Each of these techniques has advantages and limitations, which are discussed in the paper; they lead, however, to the same conclusions when a sample of 2000 schools is analysed. The results obtained provide interesting points for educational policy discussion in Chile.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2002)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Woessmann, Ludger & Fuchs, Thomas, 2005.
"Families, schools, and primary-school learning : evidence for Argentina and Colombia in an international perspective,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3537, The World Bank.
- Ludger Wossmann, 2010. "Families, schools and primary-school learning: evidence for Argentina and Colombia in an international perspective," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(21), pages 2645-2665.
- Wößmann, Ludger, 2010. "Families, schools and primary-school learning: Evidence for Argentina and Colombia in an international perspective," Munich Reprints in Economics 19682, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- von Hirschhausen, Christian R. & Cullmann, Astrid, 2005.
"Efficiency Analysis of German Electricity Distribution Utilities : Non-Parametric and Parametric Tests,"
Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics
06/05, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Christian von Hirschhausen & Astrid Cullmann & Andreas Kappeler, 2006. "Efficiency analysis of German electricity distribution utilities - non-parametric and parametric tests," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(21), pages 2553-2566.
- W Robert J Alexander & Alfred A. Haug & Mohammad Jaforullah, 2007.
"A two-stage double-bootstrap data envelopment analysis of efficiency differences of New Zealand secondary schools,"
0714, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2007.
- W. Alexander & Alfred Haug & Mohammad Jaforullah, 2010. "A two-stage double-bootstrap data envelopment analysis of efficiency differences of New Zealand secondary schools," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 99-110, October.
- Thieme, Claudio & Prior, Diego & Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2013. "A multilevel decomposition of school performance using robust nonparametric frontier techniques," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 104-121.
- Ludger Woessmann, 2006. "Public-Private Partnership and Schooling Outcomes across Countries," CESifo Working Paper Series 1662, CESifo Group Munich.
- Tanja Kirjavainen, 2007. "Efficiency of Finnish Upper Secondary Schools: An Application of Stochastic Frontier Analysis with Panel Data," Discussion Papers 428, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Maria Alberta Oliveira & Carlos Santos, 2005. "Assessing school efficiency in Portugal using FDH and bootstrapping," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(8), pages 957-968.
- Claudio Thieme & Diego Prior & Víctor Giménez & Emili Tortosa-Ausina, 2011. "Desempeño de los centros educativos: ¿un problema de recursos o capacidades organizativas?," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 199(4), pages 81-118, December.
- Juho Aaltonen & Tanja Kirjavainen & Antti Moisio, 2006. "Efficiency and Productivity in Finnish Comprehensive Schooling 1998-2004," Research Reports 127, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Claudio Thieme & Diego Prior & Víctor Giménez & Emili Tortosa, 2010. "Desempeño De Los Establecimientos Educativos:¿Un Problema De Recursos, Capacidades Organizacionales O Nivel Socioeconómico?," Working Papers 14, Facultad de Economía y Empresa, Universidad Diego Portales.
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 2002.
"Equity and Educational Performance,"
JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA,
LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- M. C. Portela & A. S. Camanho, 2007. "Performance Assessment of Portuguese Secondary Schools," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 07, Faculdade de Economia e Gestão, Universidade Católica Portuguesa (Porto).
- Cheryl Gray & Tracey Lane & Aristomene Varoudakis, 2007. "Fiscal Policy and Economic Growth : Lessons for Eastern Europe and Central Asia," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6883, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.