The technical efficiency of schools in Chile
AbstractThis paper assesses the technical efficiency of schools in Chile, which is defined as the capacity of schools to generate the maximum output (academic achievement) given the quantity of inputs they use. Two alternative methodological approaches for measuring efficiency are used: (i) estimation of a stochastic production frontier, and (ii) data envelopment analysis (DEA), which allows identification of the efficient production frontier of the schools analysed nonparametrically. Each of these techniques has advantages and limitations, which are discussed in the paper; they lead, however, to the same conclusions when a sample of 2000 schools is analysed. The results obtained provide interesting points for educational policy discussion in Chile.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2002)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/00036846.html
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ludger Woessmann, 2006. "Public-Private Partnership and Schooling Outcomes across Countries," CESifo Working Paper Series 1662, CESifo Group Munich.
- Woessmann, Ludger & Fuchs, Thomas, 2005.
"Families, schools, and primary-school learning : evidence for Argentina and Colombia in an international perspective,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3537, The World Bank.
- Ludger Wossmann, 2010. "Families, schools and primary-school learning: evidence for Argentina and Colombia in an international perspective," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 42(21), pages 2645-2665.
- von Hirschhausen, Christian R. & Cullmann, Astrid, 2005.
"Efficiency Analysis of German Electricity Distribution Utilities : Non-Parametric and Parametric Tests,"
Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics
06/05, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Christian von Hirschhausen & Astrid Cullmann & Andreas Kappeler, 2006. "Efficiency analysis of German electricity distribution utilities - non-parametric and parametric tests," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 38(21), pages 2553-2566.
- Juho Aaltonen & Tanja Kirjavainen & Antti Moisio, 2006. "Efficiency and Productivity in Finnish Comprehensive Schooling 1998-2004," Research Reports 127, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 2002.
"Equity and Educational Performance,"
Journal of LACEA Economia,
LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Cheryl Gray & Tracey Lane & Aristomene Varoudakis, 2007. "Fiscal Policy and Economic Growth : Lessons for Eastern Europe and Central Asia," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6883, 5.
- Maria Alberta Oliveira & Carlos Santos, 2005. "Assessing school efficiency in Portugal using FDH and bootstrapping," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 37(8), pages 957-968.
- W. Alexander & Alfred Haug & Mohammad Jaforullah, 2010.
"A two-stage double-bootstrap data envelopment analysis of efficiency differences of New Zealand secondary schools,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 99-110, October.
- W Robert J Alexander & Alfred A. Haug & Mohammad Jaforullah, 2007. "A two-stage double-bootstrap data envelopment analysis of efficiency differences of New Zealand secondary schools," Working Papers 0714, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2007.
- Claudio Thieme & Diego Prior & Víctor Giménez & Emili Tortosa, 2010. "Desempeño De Los Establecimientos Educativos:¿Un Problema De Recursos, Capacidades Organizacionales O Nivel Socioeconómico?," Working Papers 14, Facultad de Economía y Empresa, Universidad Diego Portales.
- Claudio Thieme & Diego Prior & Víctor Giménez & Emili Tortosa-Ausina, 2011. "Desempeño de los centros educativos: ¿un problema de recursos o capacidades organizativas?," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 199(4), pages 81-118, December.
- Tanja Kirjavainen, 2007. "Efficiency of Finnish Upper Secondary Schools: An Application of Stochastic Frontier Analysis with Panel Data," Discussion Papers 428, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- M. C. Portela & A. S. Camanho, 2007. "Performance Assessment of Portuguese Secondary Schools," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 07, Faculdade de Economia e Gestão, Universidade Católica Portuguesa (Porto).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.