Efficiency measurement in rotating panel data
AbstractRotating panel data are used with estimation of stochastic production frontier. The model can be viewed as a generalization of the regular production function estimation that accommodates technical inefficiency as well as firm heterogeneity. In particular, while estimating technical efficiency for each firm over time we control for firmspecific effects and separate them from technical inefficiency. Estimation of the model is considered in two steps. In the first step we estimate parameters of the underlying productionfunction using generalized least squares methodwhich are then used in the estimation of technical efficiency in the second step. As an empirical application we used rotating data on 1425 Swedish dairy farms observed during 1976-1988. The mean technical efficiency of these farms is found to be 94.5% and 16% of the farms are fully efficient. Evidence of technical regress about 1% per annum is observed during 1976 to 1984.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (1998)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- G. Karagiannis & P. Midmore & V. Tzouvelekas, 2002.
"Separating Technical Change from Time-Varying Technical Inefficiency in the Absence of Distributional Assumptions,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 23-38, July.
- Karagiannis, Giannis & Midmore, Peter & Tzouvelekas, Vangelis, 1999. "Separating Technical Change From Time-Varying Technical Inefficiency In The Absence Of Distributional Assumptions," Miscellaneous Papers 11842, Agecon Search.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2008.
"An Analysis of Cost-Efficiency in Swiss Multi-utilities,"
CEPE Working paper series
08-60, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Farsi, Mehdi & Filippini, Massimo, 2009. "An analysis of cost efficiency in Swiss multi-utilities," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 306-315, March.
- Mohamed Goaïed & Rym Ayed-Mouelhi, 2000. "Efficiency Measurement With Unbalanced Panel Data: Evidence from Tunisian Textile, Clothing and Leather Industries," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 249-262, May.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Michael Kuenzle, 2005. "Unobserved heterogeneity in stochastic cost frontier models: an application to Swiss nursing homes," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(18), pages 2127-2141.
- Boris Bravo-Ureta & Daniel Solís & Víctor Moreira López & José Maripani & Abdourahmane Thiam & Teodoro Rivas, 2007. "Technical efficiency in farming: a meta-regression analysis," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 57-72, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.