Determinants of the demand for Thailand's exports of tourism
AbstractWe investigate the effects of world income and the relative price of tourism in Thailand on Thailand's exports of tourism. In contrast to previous studies, we test for stationarity and cointegration of the variables of the model. We find that the variables are not stationary in level form, but they are cointegrated. Our estimate of the relative price elasticity of demand for Thailand's exports of tourism is - 1.199 in the short run and - 0.891 in the long run. The corresponding estimates for the income elasticity of demand are 1.926 and 2.342 respectively. However, only the short-run price elasticity of demand is significantly different from zero.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (1998)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:wyi:journl:002100 is not listed on IDEAS
- Allison Zhou & Carl Bonham & Byron Gangnes, 2007. "Modeling the supply and demand for tourism: a fully identified VECM approach," Working Papers 200717, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- repec:wyi:journl:002126 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ferda Halicioglu, 2005. "An Ardl Model Of Aggregate Tourism Demand For Turkey," International Trade 0503005, EconWPA.
- Bonham, Carl & Gangnes, Byron & Zhou, Ting, 2009. "Modeling tourism: A fully identified VECM approach," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 531-549, July.
- repec:wyi:journl:002105 is not listed on IDEAS
- Juncal Cuñado & Alberiko Gil-Alana, Luis & Perez De Gracia, Fernando, 2011. "Modelling International Monthly Tourist in Spain/Modelización de llegadas mensuales de turistas a España," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 29, pages 723-736, Diciembre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.