Is currency seigniorage exogenous for inflation tax in Turkey?
AbstractThis paper discusses the implications of the validity of the conditioning hypothesis for the maintained money demand equation for an inflation tax analysis. We also test the validity of the quantity-theoretical inflation tax model for the post-1980 quarterly Turkish data by using Johansen cointegration techniques. The results suggest that the tax rate (inflation) is weakly exogenous for the parameters of the long-run money demand (tax base) equation. This result, consistent with a Keynesian endogenous seigniorage-exogenous inflation tax rate theory prior, does not support the hypothesis that the Turkish inflation can be explained by the conventional inflation tax revenue-maximizing motive alone.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Özdemir, K. Azim & Turner, Paul, 2008.
"A Monetary Disequilibrium Model for Turkey: Investigation of a Disinflationary Fiscal Rule and its Implications for Monetary Policy,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 349-361.
- K. Azim Ozdemir, 2005. "A Monetary Disequilibrium Model for Turkey : Investigation of a Disinflationary Fiscal Rule and its Implications on Monetary Policy," Working Papers 0507, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- GARCIA-HIERNAUX, Alfredo & CERNO, Leonel, 2006. "Empirical Evidence For A Money Demand Function: A Panel Data Analysis Of 27 Countries In 1988-98," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 6(1).
- Levent Korap, 2009.
"Parasal Buyume ve Tuketici Enflasyonu Degisim Orani Arasindaki Nedensellik Iliskisi Uzerine Bir Deneme: Turkiye Ornegi,"
Istanbul University Econometrics and Statistics e-Journal,
Department of Econometrics, Faculty of Economics, Istanbul University, vol. 9(1), pages 56-74, May.
- Levent, Korap, 2009.
"Parasal büyüme ve tüketici enflasyonu değişim oranı arasındaki nedensellik ilişkisi üzerine bir deneme: Türkiye örneği
[An essay upon the causality relationship between the monetary gro," MPRA Paper 19537, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Levent, Korap, 2009. "Parasal büyüme ve tüketici enflasyonu değişim oranı arasındaki nedensellik ilişkisi üzerine bir deneme: Türkiye örneği
- Levent, Korap, 2008. "Modeling base money demand and inflation for the Turkish economy," MPRA Paper 19617, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.