Is utility additive? The case of alcohol
AbstractThe hypothesis of additive utility (or preference independence) is often applied to the demand for broad aggregates. Recent testing provides some evidence favourable to the hypothesis, thus overturning the older results based on the standard asymptotic tests which are seriously biased against the null in small samples. Using data for seven countries and a variety of tests, this paper shows that preference independence also cannot be rejected for more narrowly defined commodities - beer, wine and spirits. The implications of the results for efficient taxation of alcoholic beverages are also explored.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (1997)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Selvanathan, E A, 1991. "Further Results on Aggregation of Differential Demand Equations," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(4), pages 799-805, July.
- Barnett, William A, 1979. "Theoretical Foundations for the Rotterdam Model," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 109-30, January.
- Clements, Kenneth W & Selvanathan, Saroja, 1994. "Understanding Consumption Patterns," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 69-110.
- Taylor, Timothy G. & Shonkwiler, J. S. & Theil, Henri, 1986. "Monte Carlo and bootstrap testing of demand homogeneity," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 55-57.
- Rajaraman, Indira, 2007. "Impact of liquor taxation on consumption patterns in India," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 195-207.
- Kenneth W. Clements & Xueyan Zhao, 2005. "Economic Aspects of Marijuana," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 05-28, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Kuhl Teles, Vladimir & Arraes, Ronaldo A., 2009.
"Environmental protection and economic growth,"
Textos para discussÃ£o
194, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Vladimir Kühl Teles & Ronaldo A. Arraes, 2004. "Environmental Protection And Economic Growth," Anais do XXXII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 32th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 044, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Rijo M John, 2005.
"Price Elasticity Estimates for Tobacco and Other Addictive Goods in India,"
Microeconomics Working Papers
22395, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Rijo John, 2005. "Price Elasticity Estimates for Tobacco and Other Addictive Goods in India," Working Papers id:117, eSocialSciences.
- Rijo M. John, 2005. "Price elasticity estimates for tobacco and other addictive goods in India," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2005-003, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Jeffrey D. Kubik & John R. Moran, 2001. "Can Policy Changes Be Treated as Natural Experiments? Evidence from State Excise Taxes," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 39, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Nelson, Jon P., 2014. "Estimating the price elasticity of beer: Meta-analysis of data with heterogeneity, dependence, and publication bias," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 180-187.
- Kenneth Clements, 2006.
"Price Elasticities of Demand Are Minus One-half,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
06-14, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Philip J. Cook & Jan Ostermann & Frank A. Sloan, 2005. "Are Alcohol Excise Taxes Good For Us? Short and Long-Term Effects on Mortality Rates," NBER Working Papers 11138, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ramful, Preety & Zhao, Xueyan, 2006. "Heterogeneity in Alcohol Consumption: The Case of Beer, Wine and Spirits in Australia," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25359, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- E. A. Selvanathan & S. Selvanathan, 2004. "Economic and demographic factors in Australian alcohol demand," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(21), pages 2405-2417.
- Fleissig, Adrian R. & Whitney, Gerald A., 2007. "Testing additive separability," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 215-220, August.
- Clements, Kenneth W., 2004.
"Three facts about marijuana prices,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), June.
- Kenneth W. Clements, 2004. "Three Facts About Marijuana Prices," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 04-06, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Kenneth W. Clements, 2002. "Three Facts About Marijuana Prices," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 02-10, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Clements, Kenneth W., 2003. "Three Facts About Marijuana Prices," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57846, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Parry, Ian W.H. & Laxminarayan, Ramanan & West, Sarah E., 2006. "Fiscal and Externality Rationales for Alcohol Taxes," Discussion Papers dp-06-51, Resources For the Future.
- Yana Roshchina, 2013. "To drink or not to drink: the microeconomic analysis of alcohol consumption in Russia in 2006-2010," HSE Working papers WP BRP 20/SOC/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Benjamin Volland, 2013. "The History of an Inferior Good: Beer Consumption in Germany," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2012-19, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Saroja Selvanathan & E. A. Selvanathan, 2005. "Is utility additive? Further evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 83-86.
- Fogarty, James Joseph & Jakeman, Guy, 2011. "Wine tax reform: The impact of introducing a volumetric excise tax for wine," Working Papers 108667, University of Western Australia, School of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Sijbren Cnossen, 2006. "Alcohol Taxation and Regulation in the European Union," CESifo Working Paper Series 1821, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.