Is the real interest rate unstable? Some new evidence
AbstractPrior studies typically report that real Treasury bill returns have a unit root. The unit-root findings are not consistent with the long-run Fisher effect and consumptionbased asset pricing models. This study examines a data set of ex ante real returns on US Treasury bills and commercial papers. The statistical analysis employs a new modified Dickey-Fuller test, whc has better power than standard unit-root tests. In contrast to previous findings, strong evidence of stationarity is found for all the real return series under examination. Implications of the results are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Smets, Frank & Tsatsaronis, Kostas, 1997.
"Why Does the Yield Curve Predict Economic Activity? Dissecting the Evidence for Germany and the United States,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1758, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kostas Tsatsaronis & Frank Smets, 1997. "Why does the yield curve predict economic activity? Dissecting the evidence for Germany and the United States," BIS Working Papers 49, Bank for International Settlements.
- C C Tsong & A Hachicha, 2014. "Revisiting the Fisher Hypothesis for Several Selected Developing Economies: a Quantile Cointegration Approach," Economic Issues Journal Articles, Economic Issues, vol. 19(1), pages 57-72, March.
- Lai, Kon S., 2004. "On structural shifts and stationarity of the ex ante real interest rate," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 217-228.
- Lai, Kon S., 2008. "The puzzling unit root in the real interest rate and its inconsistency with intertemporal consumption behavior," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 140-155, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.