Parametric analysis of cost inefficiency and the decomposition of productivity growth for regulated firms
AbstractThis paper examines the contributions of technical change, scale economies, regulation, and efficiency on productivity growth in the interstate natural gas pipeline industry. Following Bauer (1990) productivity growth for firms subject to regulation is decomposed into technical change, scale economies, regulation, and efficiency components. The data sample consists of 20 pipeline companies and covers the period 1977 to 1987. Results indicate that scale economies, cost inefficiency, and regulation on average accounted for 64%, 16%, and 4% of productivity growth respectively. Cost efficiency declined over the sample period, most of which can be attributed to technical inefficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:cmj:journl:y:2013:i:27:stetm is not listed on IDEAS
- Mihaela ȘTEȚ, 2013. "Financial Implications Of Technological Progress," SEA - Practical Application of Science, Fundația Română pentru Inteligența Afacerii, Editorial Department, issue 1, pages 192-199, June.
- Giannis Karagiannis & George Mergos, 2000. "Total Factor Productivity Growth and Technical Change in a Profit Function Framework," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 31-51, July.
- Sangho Kim & Gwangho Han, 2001. "A Decomposition of Total Factor Productivity Growth in Korean Manufacturing Industries: A Stochastic Frontier Approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 269-281, November.
- I.K.M. Mokhtarul Wadud, 2007. "Productivity Growth and Efficiency Change in Malaysian Manufacturing: Recent Evidence from Disaggregated Data," Economics Series 2007_12, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- I.K.M. Mokhtarul Wadud & Satya Paul, 2006. "Productivity Growth, Changes in Efficiency and Technical Progress in the Private Sectors of the Australian Economy," Economics Series 2006_14, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.