The wage curve: convexity, kinks and composition effects
AbstractA detailed analysis is provided of the shape of the wage curve using annual time series for Norwegian manufacturing. The main results are summarized as follows. Unemployment affects wages significantly, and we provide evidence in favour of a monotonically decreasing but highly non-linear wage curve. The long-term unemployed exert less of a wage dampening effect than do recently laid off workers, and real wage responsiveness to unemployment seems also to be stronger with higher inflation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kåre Johansen & Ørjan Mydland & Bjarne Strøm, 2007.
"Politics in wage setting: does government colour matter?,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 95-109, February.
- Kåre Johansen & Ørjan Mydland & Bjarne Strøm, 2006. "Politics in Wage setting: Does government colour matter?," Working Paper Series 6506, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew J., 2005.
"The Wage Curve Reloaded,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1665, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- AlbÆk, Karsten & Asplund, Rita & Blomskog, Stig & Barth, Erling & GuÐmundsson, Björn Runar & Karlsson, Vifill & Madsen, Erik, 2002. "Dimensions of the Wage-dimensions Relationship in the Nordic Countries: Wage Flexibility without Wage Curves," Discussion Papers 698, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Longhi, Simonetta & Nijkamp, Peter & Reggiani, Aura & Blien, Uwe, 2002. "Forecasting regional labour markets in Germany: an evaluation of the performance of neural network analysis," ERSA conference papers ersa02p117, European Regional Science Association.
- Karsten Albæk & Rita Asplund & Stig Blomskog & Erling Barth & Björn Rúnar Guðmundsson & Vifill Karlsson & Erik Strøjer Madsen, 1999.
"Dimensions of the Wage-Unemployment Relationship in the Nordic Countries: Wage Flexibility without Wage Curves,"
99-24, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Karsten Albaek & Rita Asplund & Erling Barth & Stig Blomskog & Bjorn Runar Gudmundsson & Vifill Karlsson & Erik Strojer Madsen, 2000. "Dimensions of the Wage-Unemployment Relationship in the Nordic Countries: Wage Flexibility Without Wage Curves," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1893, Econometric Society.
- Albaek, K. & Asplund, R. & Blomskog, S. & Barth, E. & Guomundsson,B.R. & Karlsson, V. & Madsen, E.S., 1999. "Domensions of the Wage-Unemployment Relationship in the Nordic Countries: Wage Flexibility without Wage Curves," Papers 99-24, Carleton - School of Public Administration.
- Roger Bjørnstad & Ragnar Nymoen, 1999. "Wage and Profitability: Norwegian Manufacturing 1967-1998," Discussion Papers 259, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Kåre Johansen, 2002. "Regional Wage Curves Empirical Evidence from Norway," Working Paper Series 0302, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.