Environmental policy stringency and technological innovation: evidence from survey data and patent counts
AbstractThis article uses patent data to examine the impact of public environmental policy on innovations in environment-related technology. The analysis is conducted using data on an unbalanced panel of 77 countries between 2001 and 2007, drawing upon data obtained from the European Patent Office (EPO) World Patent Statistical (PATSTAT) database and the World Economic Forum's (WEF) ‘Executive Opinion Survey’. The results support our hypotheses concerning the positive role of both general innovative capacity and environmental policy stringency on environment-related innovation. A subsequent two-stage model assesses the factors which drive innovation in general and uses the fitted values to estimate environmental innovation. While the analysis is conducted on a smaller sample, they confirm the findings of the reduced-form model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 44 (2012)
Issue (Month): 17 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Claudia Ghisetti & Francesco Quatraro, 2014.
"Is green knowledge improving environmental productivity? Sectoral Evidence from Italian Regions,"
SEEDS Working Papers
1014, SEEDS, Sustainability Environmental Economics and Dynamics Studies, revised May 2014.
- Ghisetti, Claudia & Quatraro, Francesco, 2014. "Is green Knowledge improving Environmental Productivity? Sectoral Evidence from Italian Regions," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 201404, University of Turin.
- Ghisetti, Claudia & Quatraro, Francesco, 2014. "Is green Knowledge improving Environmental Productivity? Sectoral Evidence from Italian Regions," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 201411, University of Turin.
- Felix Groba & Barbara Breitschopf, 2013. "Impact of Renewable Energy Policy and Use on Innovation: A Literature Review," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1318, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Claudia Ghisetti & Francesco Quatraro, 2013. "Beyond the Inducement in Climate Change: Do Environmental Performances Spur Enrivornmental Technologies? A Regional Analysis of Cross-Sectoral Differences," Working Papers 2013112, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
- Ghisetti, Claudia & Quatraro, Francesco, 2013. "Beyond inducement in climate change: Does environmental performance spur environmental technologies? A regional analysis of cross-sectoral differences," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(C), pages 99-113.
- Marius Ley & Tobias Stucki & Martin Wörter, 2013. "The Impact of Energy Prices on Green Innovation," KOF Working papers 13-340, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Brouhle, Keith & Graham, Brad & Harrington, Donna Ramirez, 2013. "Innovation under the Climate Wise program," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 91-112.
- Giulio Cainelli & Massimiliano Mazzanti & Alessio D'Amato, 2013. "Adoption of Waste-Reducing Technology in Manufacturing: Regional Factors and Policy Issues," Working Papers 2013162, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
- repec:hal:wpaper:hal-00860045 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mazzanti, M. & Musolesi, A., 2013. "Nonlinearity, heterogeneity and unobserved effects in the carbon dioxide emissions-economic development relation for advanced countries," Working Papers 2013-08, Grenoble Applied Economics Laboratory (GAEL).
- Ghisetti,Claudia & Marzucchi,Alberto & Montresor,Sandro, 2013. "Does external knowledge affect environmental innovations? An empirical investigation of eleven European countries," INGENIO (CSIC-UPV) Working Paper Series 201301, INGENIO (CSIC-UPV), revised 23 May 2013.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Davide Antonioli & Francesco Nicolli & Marianna Gilli, 2013. "Information Technology, Environmental Innovations and Complementarity Strategies," Working Papers 2013132, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
- Costantini, Valeria & Mazzanti, Massimiliano & Montini, Anna, 2013. "Environmental performance, innovation and spillovers. Evidence from a regional NAMEA," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(C), pages 101-114.
- Claudia Ghisetti & Francesco Quatraro, 2013. "Beyond inducement in climate change: Does environmental performance spur environmental technologies?," Post-Print hal-00860045, HAL.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Antonio Musolesi, 2013. "Nonlinearity, Heterogeneity and Unobserved Effects in the CO2-income Relation for Advanced Countries," Working Papers 2013.91, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.