On the pricing and hedging of volatility derivatives
AbstractThe paper considers the pricing of a range of volatility derivatives, including volatility and variance swaps and swaptions. Under risk-neutral valuation closed-form formulae for volatility-average and variance swaps for a variety of diffusion and jump-diffusion models for volatility are provided. A general partial differential equation framework for derivatives that have an extra dependence on an average of the volatility is described. Approximate solutions of this equation are given for volatility products written on assets for which the volatility process fluctuates on a timescale that is fast compared with the lifetime of the contracts, analysing both the 'outer' region and, by matched asymptotic expansions, the 'inner' boundary layer near expiry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Mathematical Finance.
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carole Bernard & Zhenyu Cui, 2013. "Prices and Asymptotics for Discrete Variance Swaps," Papers 1305.7092, arXiv.org.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2005.
"Variation, jumps, market frictions and high frequency data in financial econometrics,"
2005-W16, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2005. "Variation, jumps, market frictions and high frequency data in financial econometrics," OFRC Working Papers Series 2005fe08, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Neil Shephard & Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen, 2005. "Variation, jumps, market frictions and high frequency data in financial econometrics," Economics Series Working Papers 240, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Nicolas Merener, 2009. "Swap Rate Variance Swaps," Business School Working Papers 2009-02, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Windcliff, H. & Forsyth, P.A. & Vetzal, K.R., 2006. "Pricing methods and hedging strategies for volatility derivatives," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 409-431, February.
- Giovanni Salvi & Anatoliy V. Swishchuk, 2012. "Modeling and Pricing of Covariance and Correlation Swaps for Financial Markets with Semi-Markov Volatilities," Papers 1205.5565, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.