Short-term and long-term price linkages between the equity markets of Australia and its major trading partners
AbstractThis paper investigates the price linkages between the equity market of Australia and that of the US, UK, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, and Korea using weekly MSCI stock market data covering the period 1974-1995. Cointegration test using the Johansen (Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 12, 1988) and Johansen and Juselius (Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 52, 1990) procedure and Granger-causality tests based on error-correction models and standard vector autoregression models are conducted. No cointegration was found between Australia and the other markets. However, the Granger-causality and forecast variance decomposition analyses reveal that Australia is significantly linked with the US and the UK. The impulse response analyses further show that Australia responds to shocks from the US and the UK immediately during the first week and this response is completed with a period of four weeks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 9 (1999)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dorota Witkowska & Krzysztof Kompa & Aleksandra Matuszewska-Janica, 2012. "Analysis of Linkages between Central and Eastern European Capital Markets," Dynamic Econometric Models, Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika, vol. 12, pages 19-34.
- Bank for International Settlements & Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research, 2008. "Regional financial integration in Asia: present and future," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 42, 8.
- Herwany, Aldrin & Febrian, Erie, 2008. "Co-integration and Causality Analysis on Developed Asian Markets For Risk Management & Portfolio Selection," MPRA Paper 10259, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aldrin Herwany & Erie Febrian, 2009. "Co-integration and Causality Analysis on Developed Asian Markets For Risk Management & Portfolio Selection," Working Papers in Economics and Development Studies (WoPEDS) 200909, Department of Economics, Padjadjaran University, revised Sep 2009.
- Siv Taing & Andrew Worthington, 2005. "Return relationships among European equity sectors: A comparative analysis across selected sectors in small and large economies," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 371-388, November.
- De Gooijer, Jan G. & Sivarajasingham, Selliah, 2008. "Parametric and nonparametric Granger causality testing: Linkages between international stock markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(11), pages 2547-2560.
- Stelios D. Bekiros, 2013. "Decoupling and the Spillover Effects of the US Financial Crisis: Evidence from the BRIC Markets," Working Paper Series 21_13, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Giorgio Canarella & Stephen M. Miller & Stephen K. Pollard, 2008.
"Dynamic Stock Market Interactions between the Canadian, Mexican, and the United States Markets: The NAFTA Experience,"
2008-49, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Giorgio Canarella & Stephen M. Miller & Stephen K. Pollard, 2009. "Dynamic Stock Market Interactions between the Canadian, Mexican, and the United States Markets: The NAFTA Experience," Working Papers 0905, University of Nevada, Las Vegas , Department of Economics.
- Hatemi-J, Abdulnasser & Roca, Eduardo, 2006. "A re-examination of international portfolio diversification based on evidence from leveraged bootstrap methods," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 993-1007, December.
- Aldrin Herwany & Erie Febrian, 2010. "Co-integration and Causality Analysis on Developed Asian Markets For Risk Management & Portfolio Selection," Working Papers in Business, Management and Finance 201001, Department of Management and Business, Padjadjaran University, revised Jan 2010.
- Li Yang & Francis Tapon & Yiguo Sun, 2006. "International correlations across stock markets and industries: trends and patterns 1988-2002," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(16), pages 1171-1183.
- Andrew Worthington & Helen Higgs, 2004. "Transmission of equity returns and volatility in Asian developed and emerging markets: a multivariate GARCH analysis," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 71-80.
- Siv Heng Taing & Andrew C. Worthington, 2002. "Comovements among European equity sectors: Selected evidence from the consumer discretionary, consumer staples, financial, industrial and materials sectors," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 116, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Chan Leong, Su & Felmingham, Bruce, 2003. "The interdependence of share markets in the developed economies of East Asia," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 219-237, April.
- Andrew Worthington & Helen Higgs, 2001. "A multivariate GARCH analysis of equity returns and volatility in Asian equity markets," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 089, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Eduardo Roca & Victor Wong & Gurudeo Tularam, 2010. "The Market Sensitivity of Australian Superannuation Socially Responsible Investment Funds. Evidence from a Markov Regime Switching Approach," Discussion Papers in Finance finance:201012, Griffith University, Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics.
- Dimitriou, Dimitrios & Mpitsios, Petros & Simos, Theodore, 2011. "Dynamic linkages and interdependence between Mediterranean region EMU markets during 2007 financial crisis," MPRA Paper 37476, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Febrian, Erie & Herwany, Aldrin, 2007. "Co-integration and Causality Among Jakarta Stock Exchange, Singapore Stock Exchange, and Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange," MPRA Paper 9632, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2008. "Integration of India's stock market with global and major regional markets," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Regional financial integration in Asia: present and future, volume 42, pages 202-236 Bank for International Settlements.
- Michael E. Drew & Leonard Chong, 2002. "Stock Market Interdependence: Evidence from Australia," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 106, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Chelley-Steeley, Patricia, 2004. "Equity market integration in the Asia-Pacific region: A smooth transition analysis," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 621-632.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.