The information content of the German term structure regarding inflation
AbstractThe paper investigates the information content of the German term structure regarding inflation, defined as the ability of the yield curve's slope to predict future changes in inflation rates. The empirical tests show that the German yield curve is informative in that sense, especially in its middle segment between three and eight years. A new robustness test is considered. Besides the specification in terms of yields-to-maturity, which has traditionally been employed by the Bundesbank and by previous empirical research, zero-coupon rates (are considered) estimated using the Svensson (IMF Working Paper No. 114, 1994) approach. This takes account of the fact that tests of the expectations hypothesis are in fact tests of joint hypotheses, among them, that the yield curve specification used gives an unbiased picture of the relevant information and that the specific formulation of the expectations hypothesis is valid. Despite the considerable differences between the two yield curve specifications, the results regarding the information content are overall robust with respect to the choice of the specification.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 9 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Holmes, Mark J. & Dutu, Richard & Cui, Xiaoman, 2009. "Real interest rates, inflation and the open economy: A regime-switching perspective on Australia and New Zealand," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 351-360, March.
- Holmes, Mark J., 2002. "Does long-run real interest parity hold among EU countries? Some new panel data evidence," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 733-746.
- Arango, Luis Eduardo & Flórez, Luz Adriana, 2008.
"Tramo corto de la curva de rendimientos, cambio de régimen inflacionario y expectativas de inflación en Colombia,"
El Trimestre Económico,
Fondo de Cultura Económica, vol. 0(297), pages 183-210, enero-mar.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Luz Adriana Flórez, . "Tramo Corto de la Curva de Rendimientos, Cambio de Régimen Inflacionario y Expectativas de Inflación en Colombia," Borradores de Economia 360, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Arturo Estrella & Anthony P. Rodrigues & Sebastian Schich, 2003.
"How Stable is the Predictive Power of the Yield Curve? Evidence from Germany and the United States,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 629-644, August.
- Arturo Estrella & Anthony P. Rodrigues & Sebastian Schich, 2000. "How stable is the predictive power of the yield curve? evidence from Germany and the United States," Staff Reports 113, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Leo Krippner, 2005. "Investigating the Relationships between the Yield Curve, Output and Inflation using an Arbitrage-Free Version of the Nelson and Siegel Class of Yield Curve Models," Working Papers in Economics 05/02, University of Waikato, Department of Economics.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Luis Fernando Melo, 2002.
"Estimación de la Estructura a Plazo de las Tasas de Interés en Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002594, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Luis Fernando melo & Diego Mauricio Vásquez, . "Estimación de la Estructura a Plazo de las Tasas de Interés en Colombia," Borradores de Economia 196, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Harald Grech, 2004. "What Do German Short-Term Interest Rates Tell Us About Future Inflation?," Working Papers 94, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Holmes, Mark J. & Maghrebi, Nabil, 2008. "Is there a connection between monetary unification and real economic integration? Evidence from regime-switching stationarity tests," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 958-970, October.
- Angélica Arosemena, . "Lecturas Alternativas de la Estructura a Plazo: Una Breve Revisión de literatura," Borradores de Economia 223, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- van Bergeijk, Peter A. G. & Berk, Jan Marc, 2000. "Is the yield curve a useful Information variable for the Eurosystem?," Working Paper Series 0011, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.