Efficiency and risk management in Spanish banking: a method to decompose risk
AbstractThe single market programme has substantially increased the level of competition in the Spanish Banking System (SBS). This greater competition, though driving firms to improve their efficiency, may also encourage them to orient their businesses towards activities, sectors, and/or clients of higher risk. However, in spite of the importance of jointly evaluating efficiency and risk, the traditional measurements of efficiency do not take risk into account. Furthermore, the few studies that attempt to include risk do not separate the part of risk that is due to poor management (internal) from that which originates in the economic environment (external). This article proposes a new sequential DEA procedure to break down the main indicator of banking risk provision for loan losses (PLL)— into internal and external components, in order subsequently to obtain measurements of efficiency adjusted for risk. The analysis is illustrated by application to the SBS where deregulation, imposed by the Single Market Programme of the European Community, has affected banks conduct in terms of efficiency and risk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 9 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez & Lorenzo Serrano Martínez, 2000.
"Efficiency, Endogenous And Exogenous Credit Risk In The Banking Systems Of The Euro Area,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
2000-17, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Jose Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 2005. "Efficiency, endogenous and exogenous credit risk in the banking systems of the Euro area," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(9), pages 631-649.
- Muliaman D. Hadad & Maximilian J. B. Hall & Wimboh Santoso & Karligash Kenjegalieva & Richard Simper, 2010. "Productivity Changes and Risk Management in Indonesian Banking: An Application of a New Approach to Constructing Malmquist Indices," Discussion Paper Series 2010_04, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Feb 2010.
- Andreas Wutz, 2002. "Wie beeinflusst das Umfeld einer Bank die Effizienz? - Eine DEA-Analyse fuer die Bayerischen Genossenschaftsbanken," Discussion Paper Series 215, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Chiu, Yung-ho & Luo, Zhengying & Chen, Yu-Chuan & Wang, Zebin & Tsai, Min-Pei, 2013. "A comparison of operating performance management between Taiwan banks and foreign banks based on the Meta-Hybrid DEA model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 433-439.
- Kenjegalieva, Karligash A. & Simper, Richard, 2011. "A productivity analysis of Central and Eastern European banking taking into account risk decomposition and environmental variables," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 26-38, January.
- Chiu, Yung-Ho & Chen, Yu-Chuan, 2009. "The analysis of Taiwanese bank efficiency: Incorporating both external environment risk and internal risk," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 456-463, March.
- Paola Dongili & Angelo Zago, 2005. "Bad loans and efficiency in Italian Banks," Working Papers 28, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Karligash Kenjegalieva & Richard Simper, 2010. "A Productivity analysis of Eastern European banking taking into account risk decomposition and environmental variables," Discussion Paper Series 2010_02, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Jan 2010.
- López-Torres, Laura & Prior, Diego , 2013. "Do Parents Perceive The Technical Quality Of Public Schools? An Activity Analysis Approach," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 13(3), pages 39-60.
- Paola Dongili, 2005. "La definizione del prodotto delle banche," Working Papers 21, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Azofra, Valentín & Santamaría, Marcos, 2011. "Ownership, control, and pyramids in Spanish commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 1464-1476, June.
- Shen, Chung-Hua & Chen, Ting-Hsuan, 2010. "Estimating banking cost efficiency with the consideration of cost management," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 424-435, November.
- Francisco Pérez García & Javier Quesada Ibañez & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez, 1999.
"- Cost And Profit Efficiency In European Banks,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
1999-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Maudos, Joaquin & Pastor, Jose M. & Perez, Francisco & Quesada, Javier, 2002. "Cost and profit efficiency in European banks," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 33-58, February.
- Fethi, Meryem Duygun & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2010. "Assessing bank efficiency and performance with operational research and artificial intelligence techniques: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(2), pages 189-198, July.
- Yao, Shujie & Han, Zhongwei & Feng, Genfu, 2008. "Ownership Reform, Foreign Competition, and Efficiency of Chinese Commercial Banks: A Non-Parametric Approach," Working Paper Series RP2008/38, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Bernardo Maggi & Marco Guida, 2011. "Modelling non-performing loans probability in the commercial banking system: efficiency and effectiveness related to credit risk in Italy," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 269-291, October.
- Thierno Amadou Barry & Santos José O. Dacanay & Laetitia Lepetit & Amine Tarazi, 2008. "Ownership Structure and Bank Efficiency in the asia pacific region," Working Papers hal-00915134, HAL.
- Gutiérrez-Nieto, Begoña & Serrano-Cinca, Carlos & Mar Molinero, Cecilio, 2007. "Microfinance institutions and efficiency," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 131-142, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.