Volatility, volume and maturity in electricity futures
AbstractThis paper appears to be the first empirical investigation of the market for electricity futures. We examine fourteen electricity futures contracts for evidence of maturity effects. We find strong evidence of increasing volatility as contract maturity approaches even when controlling for the volume of trade. The maturity effects in electricity futures appear to be stronger than for other energy futures such as crude oil, heating oil and unleaded gasoline.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 9 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hipòlit Torró, 2007. "Forecasting Weekly Electricity Prices at Nord Pool," Working Papers 2007.88, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Goto, Mika & Karolyi, G. Andrew, 2004. "Understanding Electricity Price Volatility within and across Markets," Working Paper Series 2004-12, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Capitán Herráiz, Álvaro & Rodríguez Monroy, Carlos, 2009. "Analysis of the efficiency of the Iberian power futures market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3566-3579, September.
- Saurabh Gupta & Prabina Rajib, 2012. "Samuelson Hypothesis & Indian Commodity Derivatives Market," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 331-352, November.
- Lester Hadsell, 2006. "A TARCH examination of the return volatility-volume relationship in electricity futures," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(12), pages 893-901.
- Barry Goss, 2006. "Liquidity, volume and volatility in US electricity futures: the case of Palo Verde," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 43-46, January.
- Helen Higgs & Andrew C. Worthington, 2005.
"Systematic Features of High-Frequency Volatility in Australian Electricity Markets: Intraday Patterns, Information Arrival and Calendar Effects,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 23-42.
- Helen Higgs & Andrew C Worthington, 2004. "Systematic Features of High-Frequency Volatility in Australian Electricity Markets: Intraday Patterns, Information Arrival and Calendar Effects," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 186, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.