A multifactor model of gold industry stock returns: evidence from the Australian equity market
AbstractThe empirical literature suggests that several different variables are potentially important in explaining the return on gold stocks beyond that of a market factor. The primary aim of this paper is to examine the empirical performance of a specification which incorporates into one multifactor model three such variables - gold prices, interest rates and foreign exchange rates. This paper applies this model to the return of gold stocks in the Australian equity market over the period 1979 to 1992. Contrary to other studies which have examined incomplete specifications relative to this framework, we find that the only variables of significant explanatory power are the market and gold price factors. Consequently, this has important implications for studies which examine the pricing behaviour of gold industry stocks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 8 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Misund, Bard & Mohn, Klaus, 2014. "Exploration Risk in Oil & Gas Shareholder Returns," UiS Working Papers in Economics and Finance 2014/4, University of Stavanger.
- Sadorsky, Perry & Henriques, Irene, 2001. "Multifactor risk and the stock returns of Canadian paper and forest products companies," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3-4), pages 199-208, November.
- Sofía B. Ramos & Helena Veiga, 2009.
"Risk factors in oil and gas industry returns: international evidence,"
Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers
ws096920, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Ramos, Sofia B. & Veiga, Helena, 2011. "Risk factors in oil and gas industry returns: International evidence," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 525-542, May.
- Masih, Rumi & Peters, Sanjay & De Mello, Lurion, 2011. "Oil price volatility and stock price fluctuations in an emerging market: Evidence from South Korea," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 975-986, September.
- M. Martin Boyer & Didier Filion, 2004.
"Common and Fundamental Factors in Stock Returns of Canadian Oil and Gas Companies,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Boyer, M. Martin & Filion, Didier, 2007. "Common and fundamental factors in stock returns of Canadian oil and gas companies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 428-453, May.
- Thi Hong Van Hoang & Hooi Hooi Lean & Wing-Keung Wong, 2013. "Is Gold Good for Portfolio Diversification? A Stochastic Dominance Analysis of the Paris Stock Exchange," Working Papers 05-13, Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC).
- Rodolfo Aquino, 2006. "A variance equality test of the ICAPM on Philippine stocks: post-Asian financial crisis period," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 353-362.
- Bellalah, Mondher & Masood, Omar & Thapa, Priya Darshini Pun & Levyne, Olivier & Triki, Rabeb, 2012. "Economic forces and stock exchange prices: pre and post impacts of global financial recession of 2008," MPRA Paper 50942, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Veith, Stefan & Werner, Jörg R. & Zimmermann, Jochen, 2009. "Capital market response to emission rights returns: Evidence from the European power sector," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 605-613, July.
- Yao, Juan & Gao, Jiti & Alles, Lakshman, 2005. "Dynamic investigation into the predictability of Australian industrial stock returns: Using financial and economic information," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 225-245, March.
- Sadorsky, Perry, 2001. "Risk factors in stock returns of Canadian oil and gas companies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 17-28, January.
- El-Sharif, Idris & Brown, Dick & Burton, Bruce & Nixon, Bill & Russell, Alex, 2005. "Evidence on the nature and extent of the relationship between oil prices and equity values in the UK," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 819-830, November.
- Shu-Mei Chiang & Chi-Tai Lin & Chien-Ming Huang, 2013. "The Relationships Among Stocks, Bonds and Gold: Safe Haven, Hedge or Neither?," Diversity, Technology, and Innovation for Operational Competitiveness: Proceedings of the 2013 International Conference on Technology Innovation and Industrial Management, ToKnowPress.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.