Financial liberalization and stock market volatility: the case of Indonesia
AbstractThis article examines the relationship between financial liberalization and stock market volatility in Indonesia. By looking at the time series properties of the Jakarta Composite Index (JCI) we identify breaks in stock market volatility which coincide with the timing of major policy events. Our main findings are (i) a significant decrease in volatility after the 'official' opening of the stock market to foreign participation; (ii) a significant increase in volatility in the year before market opening following reforms that eased entry requirements and the issuance of brokerage licenses and (iii) a significant increase in volatility at the time of the Asian crisis followed by a significant decrease in the second and sixth years after the crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
Other versions of this item:
- Gregory James & Michail Karoglou, 2009. "Financial Liberalisation and Stock Market Volatility: The Case of Indonesia," Discussion Paper Series 2009_11, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Sep 2009.
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Panicos Demetriades & Michail Karoglou & Siong Hook Law, 2006. "Financial Liberalisation and Breaks in Stock Market Volatility," Discussion Papers in Economics 06/13, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Nov 2006.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 2000. "Bubbles and Crises," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 236-55, January.
- Huang, Bwo-Nung & Yang, Chin-Wei, 2000. "The Impact of Financial Liberalization on Stock Price Volatility in Emerging Markets," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 321-339, June.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 1997.
"Emerging equity market volatility,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 29-77, January.
- Anthony J. Richards, 1996.
"Volatility and Predictability in National Stock Markets: How Do Emerging and Mature Markets Differ?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 43(3), pages 461-501, September.
- Anthony J. Richards, 1996. "Volatility and Predictability in National Stock Markets: How Do Emerging and Mature Markets Differ?," IMF Working Papers 96/29, International Monetary Fund.
- Vedi Hadiz & Richard Robison, 2005. "Neo-liberal Reforms and Illiberal Consolidations: The Indonesian Paradox," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(2), pages 220-241.
- Shiller, Robert J, 1981.
"Do Stock Prices Move Too Much to be Justified by Subsequent Changes in Dividends?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 421-36, June.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1980. "Do Stock Prices Move Too Much to be Justified by Subsequent Changes in Dividends?," NBER Working Papers 0456, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patricia Fraser & David Power, 1997. "Stock return volatility and information: an empirical analysis of Pacific Rim, UK and US equity markets," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 241-253.
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1996.
"Capital control liberalization and stock market development,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1622, The World Bank.
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1998. "Capital Control Liberalization and Stock Market Development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1169-1183, July.
- Ross Levine & Sara Zervos, . "Capital control liberalisation and stock market development," CERF Discussion Paper Series 96-03, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- De Santis, Giorgio & imrohoroglu, Selahattin, 1997.
"Stock returns and volatility in emerging financial markets,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 561-579, August.
- Giorgio De Santis & Selahattin Imrohoroglu, 1994. "Stock returns and volatility in emerging financial markets," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 93, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Panicos Demetriades & Michaeil Karoglou & Siong Hook Law, 2007. "Financial Liberalisation and Breaks in Stock Market Volatility: Evidence from East Asia," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 162, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 2000.
"Foreign Speculators and Emerging Equity Markets,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 565-613, 04.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 1997. "Foreign Speculators and Emerging Equity Markets," NBER Working Papers 6312, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 1997. "Foreign Speculators and Emerging Equity Markets," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 79, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Philip Arestis & Panicos Demetriades, 1999. "Financial Liberalization: The Experience of Developing Countries," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 25(4), pages 441-457, Fall.
- J. Bradford De Long & Andrei Shleifer & Lawrence H. Summers & Robert J. Waldmann, 1989.
"The Size and Incidence of the Losses from Noise Trading,"
NBER Working Papers
2875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Long, J Bradford, et al, 1989. " The Size and Incidence of the Losses from Noise Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(3), pages 681-96, July.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad, 2001.
"Does Financial Liberalization Spur Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
8245, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jayasuriya, Shamila, 2005. "Stock market liberalization and volatility in the presence of favorable market characteristics and institutions," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 170-191, June.
- Chang, Rosita P. & Ghon Rhee, S. & Soedigno, Susatio, 1995. "Price volatility of Indonesian stocks," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 3(2-3), pages 337-355, July.
- Tauchen, George E & Pitts, Mark, 1983. "The Price Variability-Volume Relationship on Speculative Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 485-505, March.
- Ross H. McLeod, 1996.
"Control and Competition: Banking Deregulation and Re-regulation in Indonesia,"
Trade and Development
96/7, Australian National University, Department of Economics.
- Ross H. McLeod, 1996. "Control And Competition: Banking Deregulation And Re-Regulation In Indonesia," Departmental Working Papers 1996-07, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Chan, Kalok & McQueen, Grant & Thorley, Steven, 1998. "Are there rational speculative bubbles in Asian stock markets?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 125-151, May.
- Ajit Singh, 2002.
"Capital account liberalization, free long-term capital flows, financial crises and economic development,"
ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers
wp245, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Ajit Singh, 2003. "Capital Account Liberalization, Free Long-Term Capital Flows, Financial Crises and Economic Development," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 29(2), pages 191-216, Spring.
- Andreu Sansó & Vicent Aragó & Josep Lluís Carrion, 2003. "Testing for Changes in the Unconditional Variance of Financial Time Series," DEA Working Papers 5, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Departament d'Economía Aplicada.
- Gregory Koutmos, 1999. "Asymmetric Price and Volatility Adjustments in Emerging Asian Stock Markets," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(1-2), pages 83-101.
- Kwan, Felix B. & Reyes, Mario G., 1997. "Price effects of stock market liberalization in Taiwan," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 511-522.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.