Integer-valued moving average modelling of the number of transactions in stocks
AbstractThe Integer-valued Moving Average Model (INMA) is advanced to model the number of transactions in intra-day data of stocks. The conditional mean and variance properties are discussed and model extensions to include explanatory variables are offered. Least squares and generalized method of moment estimators are presented. In a small Monte Carlo study a feasible least squares estimator comes out as the best choice. Empirically we find support for the use of long-lag moving average models in a Swedish stock series. There is evidence of asymmetric effects of news about prices on the number of transactions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (2010)
Issue (Month): 18 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/09603107.html
Other versions of this item:
- Brännäs, Kurt & Quoreshi, Shahiduzzaman, 2004. "Integer-Valued Moving Average Modelling of the Number of Transactions in Stocks," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 637, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heinen, Andreas, 2003.
"Modelling Time Series Count Data: An Autoregressive Conditional Poisson Model,"
8113, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- HEINEN, Andréas, 2003. "Modelling time series count data: an autoregressive conditional Poisson model," CORE Discussion Papers 2003062, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- HEINEN, Andreas & RENGIFO, Erick, 2003. "Multivariate modelling of time series count data: an autoregressive conditional Poisson model," CORE Discussion Papers 2003025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lobato, Ignacio & Nankervis, John C & Savin, N E, 2001. "Testing for Autocorrelation Using a Modified Box-Pierce Q Test," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(1), pages 187-205, February.
- Kurt Brannas & Ola Simonsen, 2007.
"Discretized time and conditional duration modelling for stock transaction data,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(8), pages 647-658.
- Brännäs, Kurt & Simonsen, Ola, 2003. "Discretized Time and Conditional Duration Modelling for Stock Transaction Data," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 610, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Brannas, Kurt & Hellstrom, Jorgen & Nordstrom, Jonas, 2002.
"A new approach to modelling and forecasting monthly guest nights in hotels,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 19-30.
- Brännäs, Kurt & Hellström, Jörgen & Nordström, Jonas, 1999. "A New Approach to Modelling and Forecasting Monthly Guest Nights in Hotels," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 503, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Quoreshi, A.M.M. Shahiduzzaman, 2008.
"A vector integer-valued moving average model for high frequency financial count data,"
Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 258-261, December.
- Quoreshi, Shahiduzzaman, 2006. "A Vector Integer-Valued Moving Average Modelfor High Frequency Financial Count Data," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 674, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Feike C. Drost & Ramon van den Akker & Bas J. M. Werker, 2008.
"Local asymptotic normality and efficient estimation for INAR(p) models,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(5), pages 783-801, 09.
- Drost, F.C. & Akker, R. van den & Werker, B.J.M., 2006. "Local Asymptotic Normality and Efficient Estimation for inar (P) Models," Discussion Paper 2006-45, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Akker, R. van den & Werker, B.J.M., 2007. "Efficient Estimation of Autoregression Parameters and Innovation Distributions for Semiparametric Integer-Valued AR(p) Models (Subsequently replaced by DP 2008-53)," Discussion Paper 2007-23, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Brännäs, Kurt & Lönnbark, Carl, 2006. "Effects of Explanatory Variables in Count Data Moving Average Models," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 679, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Quoreshi, Shahiduzzaman, 2006. "LongMemory, Count Data, Time Series Modelling for Financial Application," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 673, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Quoreshi, Shahiduzzaman, 2006. "Time Series Modelling Of High Frequency Stock Transaction Data," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 675, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.