Measuring bank profit efficiency
AbstractTo date, work concerned with the potential determinants of credit institutions' profit inefficiency levels has addressed this issue in either a single-step or multi-step process. In the former, inefficiency scores are conditioned by region and bank-specific indicators, while in the latter, generated inefficiency scores are subsequently regressed on a set of potential correlates. The approach proposed here allows these issues to be explored jointly in a statistically consistent manner. The model is applied to a sample of banks from Ireland, the UK, Canada and Australia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 18 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
Other versions of this item:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clark, Jeffrey A & Siems, Thomas F, 2002. "X-Efficiency in Banking: Looking beyond the Balance Sheet," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(4), pages 987-1013, November.
- Amel, Dean & Barnes, Colleen & Panetta, Fabio & Salleo, Carmelo, 2004. "Consolidation and efficiency in the financial sector: A review of the international evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2493-2519, October.
- Berger, Allen N. & Mester, Loretta J., 1997.
"Inside the black box: What explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 895-947, July.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Working Papers 97-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-10, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the Black Box: What Explains Differences in the Efficiencies of Financial Institutions?," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-04, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Rahman, Sanzidur, 2003.
"Profit Efficiency Among Bangladeshi Rice Farmers,"
2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa
25898, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1984.
"Do markets differ much?,"
1531-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Francisco Pérez García & Javier Quesada Ibañez & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez, 1999.
"- Cost And Profit Efficiency In European Banks,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
1999-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Maudos, Joaquin & Pastor, Jose M. & Perez, Francisco & Quesada, Javier, 2002. "Cost and profit efficiency in European banks," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 33-58, February.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Fitzpatrick, Trevor & McQuinn, Kieran, 2004. "Cost Efficiency in UK and Irish Credit Institutions," Research Technical Papers 3/RT/04, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Altunbas, Y. & Gardener, E. P. M. & Molyneux, P. & Moore, B., 2001. "Efficiency in European banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1931-1955, December.
- Sturm, Jan-Egbert & Williams, Barry, 2004. "Foreign bank entry, deregulation and bank efficiency: Lessons from the Australian experience," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1775-1799, July.
- Mariani Abdul-Majid & David Saal & Giuliana Battisti, 2010. "Efficiency in Islamic and conventional banking: an international comparison," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 25-43, August.
- Nemanja Radić & Franco Fiordelisi & Claudia Girardone, 2012. "Efficiency and Risk-Taking in Pre-Crisis Investment Banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 81-101, April.
- Aiello, Francesco & Bonanno, Graziella, 2013.
"Profit and cost efficiency in the Italian banking industry (2006-2011),"
48940, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francesco Aiello & Graziella Bonanno, 2013. "Profit and cost efficiency in the Italian banking industry (2006-2011)," Economics and Business Letters, Oviedo University Press, vol. 2(4).
- Nicholas Apergis & Effrosyni Alevizopoulou, 2011. "Bank Efficiency: Evidence from a Panel of European Banks," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 58(3), pages 329-341, September.
- Kamaruddin, Badrul Hisham & Safa, Mohammad Samaun & Mohd, Rohani, 2008. "Assessing production efficiency of Islamic banks and conventional bank Islamic windows in Malaysia," MPRA Paper 10670, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 May 2008.
- Barrett, Alan & Kearney, Ide & McCarthy, Yvonne, 2006. "Quarterly Economic Commentary, Winter 2006," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number QEC20064, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.